Cat Appears to be Spraying

cute orange catI have a 1 year old male cat, he was spayed when he was 6 months old but recently every time he is close to me meows a lot and raises his tail and makes an action like he is spraying me but nothing comes out. I have see him do that with some of the furniture as well. Is that normal and why is he doing it?

Thanks,
Alseides from Montreal, QC

My 14 year old male cat was neutered at 5 mos. old. He still occasionally does it when he thinks he has to mark his territory although not too often anymore. It's a harmless thing they do when nothing comes out. Your cat is only showing you're his territory and that comes naturally.

Not to worry. I have two males, both neutered, and they do this thing. They are 8yrs old and indoor cats and they are marking (not) their territory.

This might be a good time to see if he is having urinary troubles also, as this is common in neutered males. Notice if he is visiting the litter box alot and if little is coming out. Also, they will try to go in other places besides the litter box when they are having discomfort. If you suspect this, take him to the vet. Sometimes a change of food solves the problem (from dry food to a moist food). But it could also be a dangerous urinary blockage which, if untreated, is a slow painful death.

My cat appeared to be for 3 years; today he did so be careful and see when neutered cats spray.

Vet NOW. Sounds like urinary blockage. Could kill.

Pets CatsOctober 31, 2005
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄