Fabric Dye Transferred While Clothes Hanging to Dry

I washed some clothes and hung them up to dry and I guess they were too close to each other. Now a light blue striped shirt that was new has a large pink spot on the back, also a pair of light pants have some pink on them. The garments are new. I don't know what to do. The shirt fabric is 80% modal rayon/20% polyester.

By Joan from Peoria, IL

I don't know that there is anything to do. What did you hang them on. Clothes lines shouldn't have been that close together. Did you accidentally get a red or deep rose colored item in the laundry?

If you didn't put them into the dryer, which further sets the dye, you could take them out side and turn a jet spray from the water hose on them for a few minutes. If that doesn't do the trick, then a good soaking in dye remover will work. Good luck, I just love this site, don't you?

There was a red item that was between both the shirt and the pants and they were hanging on a rack in the garage, that is why they were too close. I know this is a very big mistake.

Will the dye remover do anything the the rest of the color on the shirt? The shirt is light blue with white and navy stripes

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJune 17, 2010
Putting on Jeans
Saving Money on Clothes While Dieting
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink