Eat Your Potatoes, Peelings and All

contest winner icon

When I peel potatoes, I leave a small amount of the potato on the peeling and place the pieces in a bowl of cold water. I then drain them and pat dry. I place the peelings on a greased pan in a single layer. Sprinkle the peelings with garlic, parsley, paprika, onion powder or any seasoning you may like. Mrs. Dash is good too. Bake at 350 F until brown. Serve with sour cream, melted cheese, salsa, or any kind of dip that you prefer. You can also sprinkle the peelings with shredded cheeses when baking. Delicious!

My goodness, what a terrific idea! When I think of how many 'potato chips' I've thrown away over the years!!!!

I do this too, only your way is better and much more healthy because I deep fry mine! But boy are they yummy! The peels will last a while in the fridge in the bowl of water if you want to wait a day or two to fix them.

After a recent colonoscopy I decided I'd better get interested in fiber. I found out that raw potatoes are one of the best foods for that, and for other reasons too.

I slice small reds into quarter-inch slabs and soak in cold water. They stay perfectly white and firm that way. I then leave them in a bowl somewhere near the main traffic pattern. It's SO easy to grab and gobble one as I'm passing by.

And, I can tell everybody I snack on "potato chips" all day.

Do you peel the potatoes with a veggie peeler or pare thinly with a knife (enough to get some of that potato attached to the skin)?

Connie, I just love this idea and I can't wait to give it a try and to tell my friends and family about it. Just think over the years of all the potato chips that people have thrown out. It's a shame we didn't think of this sooner. Thanks for sharing. Teresa/Va.

We were always told not to eat raw potatoes. Baking the skins is a good idea!

I stopped peeling potatoes in the '70's as part of my Earth Mother mode. I even make mashed potatoes with their skins worked in. Everyone is surprised - then pleased with the more substantial taste. It never seemed right to toss the most nutritional part of the potato. The potatoes are scrubbed with wire rubs and cooked according to plan. I was also feeding 10 - 12 at the table so this helped cut down on work as well. It simply seemed a win/win situation. ;-)

Nobody should actually believe most of what they are "told".

I'm 73 years old and very healthy. I've been told many times I look 15 years younger. During all that time I found that the foods I naturally liked were good for me.

I discovered I don't care for salt, sodas, not very many sweets, and most recently red meat.

If you roll a grocery cart full of commercial soda out of a supermarket every week, you can't be very serious about your diet.

Hey Connie! I tried out your idea and they didn't even reach the table. I"tested" one to see how they came out and ended up eating the lot! Brilliant idea! It's too hot to turn the oven on so I just boiled them in very little water for 3mins and popped them under the grill after putting in my seasonings. They were great! Won't be throwing away my potato peelings again.

I hardly ever peel a potato. I put potatoes with skins in when cooking roast, homemade soups, casseroles, etc. We always eat the potato's skins when having baked potatoes. The skins are the most nutritious part of the potato, full of vitamins.

Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversJuly 30, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
growing sweet potatoes
Growing Sweet Potatoes
🎉
🎄