Sink Cover to Maximize Counter Space

My husband constructed two wooden cutting boards to fit my double sink to increase my counter space. The stove is to the left of the double sink; there is no space to the left of the stove for cooking preparation. The wooden cutting boards were treated with a sealer that will allow food preparation. I keep the left sink with a sink cover over it for all food preparation (cutting, slicing, dredging, etc.), plus it is a convenient place to put a cake pan that comes out of the oven or bread pans to sit on after baking bread.

When our family comes for a holiday meal, birthday meals or other guests come for a meal, I use both of these sink covers to complete my buffet area that I make on my "L" shaped kitchen counter. The large entree items are arranged on the stovetop burner covers on the stove; the buffet continues to the right to the end of my "L" shaped counter with the beverages (the end of my kitchen counter is next to the refrigerator for convenience of filling the ice bucket with ice).

This idea originated from having a travel trailer and having sink cutting boards over the double sinks in the trailer. It saves time in food preparation and expands my kitchen buffet area.

By JOSE from Collierville, TN

I like that Idea thanks! Now to get hubby moving to make it! :)

FYI, just make sure you get a wood sealer that is for food preparation you can ask your local hardware store (Home Depot or Lowe's), my husband also put metal rods on the back of the cutting boards to prevent warping.

We have been camping for 3 years in a small trailer for 3 years. The first year we camped the hubs got bought a counter top to go across from the original counter edge to the island counter edge, plus bought those plastic rolling drawers to slide under the counter for utensil storage. I now have enough room for a griddle and toaster for easier breakfast making.

This is a great idea! After reading this I remembered I used to have something similar to this that I bought. I believe it also had a sceened hole in it to allow drainage for veggies, etc., that I cut on top of it to filter into the sink. Saved a lot of time. Trouble is, I put it away "somewhere" and forgot about it, and now it's probably history. I remember the one I bought had extendable wire handles that hooked over the center of my double sink. Time to get another one. Thanks for the reminder...and this time perhaps I'll try to make my own.

Gypsy Swan

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenJuly 1, 2011
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Organizing a Small Kitchen, A small kitchen painted lime green.
Organizing a Small Kitchen
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink