My Frugal Life: Carl the Cadillac

I work just a block away from home. I had been walking to work, but pulled my Achilles Tendon and had to start driving to work. We had a golf cart and one day I discovered I could just drive the golf cart to work. I did and found a little spot to park, out of the way. Now I use NO gas to get to work, do not take up a parking spot in the parking lot, and get to work just as quickly.

We also use the cart to drive out the street to my brother's and my son's house. It will haul things for us to their house or back, and we do not have to walk and carry things. There is a little diner behind our house we can drive to, as well.


We call our cart, Carl, The Cadillac! No telling how much gas we have saved by driving Carl in our neighborhood!

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

May 23, 20110 found this helpful

I see golf-cart-type vehicles in the area of our marina, too. Are they street legal?

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 25, 20110 found this helpful

Ha! Love the fact that you name your cart. My mom's golf cart's name is Essie. She lives on an island where no cars are allowed.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 29, 20110 found this helpful

Oh I love this idea, unfortunately I do not think I would trust a golf cart on my city streets. The drivers are really wild!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 29, 20110 found this helpful

Do you have a special licence to have these "golf carts" on a public street given they are not registered to be driven any-where? And how are they covered for insurance in the event of an accident "yours" or a car-truck-bus driver? The only "right-of-way" on a public road is a Horse (check this out).

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 29, 20110 found this helpful

In our state we have been told by the local police that driving a golf cart on the streets is against the law. I would suggest that you check your states laws before doing this, just to make sure. I sure wish we could do that here though. :)

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
May 29, 20110 found this helpful

We purchase a sticker from the Hwy. Dept yearly, cost about $5. My golf cart is also insured, cost $65 annually. We are allowed to drive 5 miles (I think) from our home, or from our base, if camping. The sticker is required inside State Parks in SC. Hope that helps! Thanks for the comments.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
Frugal Living Advice
Frugal Living Advice
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMay 23, 2011
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
New Years Ideas!
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 7, 2016 at 12:36:08 PM on in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!