Custom Embroidery Help

While at a department store recently, I spotted the most beautiful pair of pants I had ever seen. It was plain black (like slacks, no cuffs) with vibrant colors of green, red, purple, yellow etc embroidery stitching on just one leg.

The embroidery extended in the shape of swirls (or maybe it was a flower) on one pant leg from the bottom up to the knee on the side (facing out). Without the embroidery, it would have just been your ordinary run-of-the-mill black pants that I'm sure almost all of us have.

Unfortunately, I didn't buy the pants due to the obscene of a price tag but decided I would try to do something myself. I have the black pants. However, I do not have a sewing machine nor any idea how to sew much less do embroidery. Short of investing hundreds of dollars in a sewing machine or countless hours in learning embroidery, is there anybody that can tell me where or who I can go to that may do custom embroidery for me?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx,

pookie

Even if you have a sewing machine that does straight stitches, you can trace a pattern onto your slacks and run several different colors alongside each other. This would look very pretty if the colors were vibrant. You probably already have a color scheme in mind if you loved the pants you saw in the store. Accordingly, you can run simple straight stitches by hand with pretty embroidery thread. When color is involved, the stitches themselves can take a back seat and the color will be what makes your design pretty. Another thing you might do is sew or glue some pretty trims onto the pants to make a nice design. If your pant legs are quite slim, I'd consider taking the extra time to open up the inner leg seam for your project and sewing it back up again when you're done. It will make it go a lot easier and would end up worth the extra time. However, this isn't necessary and if you use hand stitching and glue for your project, you might roll up some newspapers and put them inside the leg while you work. You could also use a rolled towel but your chances of stitching onto it are increased, whereas if you accidentally put your needle & thread through the newspaper, it would just tear off when you're done. This sounds like a fun project. Good luck and enjoy it! --Jayne

There are iron-on embroidery transfers you can purchase. The selection varies a lot depending on the store, but I resurrected a beautiful gold silk blouse that way. The blouse had a snag (small hole with a fabric pucker too) in the front, so I bought a bunch of iron-on embroidery butterflies and daisies, and put them on the front of the blouse (including over the snag, of course!). The blouse is absolutely gorgeous now, even better than it was before. I wear it to weddings and other special occasions.

Go to your local mall or check your yellow pages most T-shirt shops also have an embroidery machine for personalizing hats and jackets and t-shirts, and most places will embroider items you bring into the store also. There will be a charge but it should not be to pricey. Hope this helps.

Basic embroidery is easy to learn. Get a beginner's book at the library and practice on something old. All you really need to learn is a backstitch or a running stitch. You are limited only by your imagination. Make up a design or copy something from a book, magazine, etc.

I want some Queen size sheets with butterflies and ferns/flowers on the top hem (to show when folded down over the blanket) and on the edges of pillowcases. All I can find is baby/juvenille thinngs. Anyone know where something like this might be found or know anyone that would do this kind of embroidery work?

You could sew on appliques - or even use fabric paint and PAINT a swirly design on the pants. ( I think they call that something like liquid embroidery.)

Get an embroidery machine. price range $700.00-$10,000.00 then you can do up whatever whenever you want. you can customize designs and sew them out. it's tons of fun.

april

Crafts NeedleworkSeptember 30, 2004
Embroidery Machine
Troubleshooting an Embroidery Machine
closeup of embroidery detail
Adding Embroidery Details to a Baby Quilt
closeup of sewing machine needle
Free Motion Embroidery Ideas
Punch Needle Embroidery
Punch Needle Embroidery Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄