Protecting an Embroidered Bag

Category Embroidery
A hand bag with needlework may need to be protected to keep all the threads in place. This is a guide about protecting an embroidered bag.

I have a bag that is embroidered and the thread is getting caught on items and it is also starting to get fuzzy. Is there anything I can spray on it to hold the thread in place. I thought about hairspray? Would that work? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mindy

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

There is a product at Hancock Fabrics that is called Fray-Check, you could try that.
Also, my sister has used white glue, ( either full-strength or half and half with water); she uses this to stiffen her crocheted Christmas ornaments, I imagine that it would stop the fray as well, however, it will probably make your embroidery stiff. This glue dries colorless. Worth a try, to prevent further damage to the embroidery. Good luck.

Best Answer

Two thoughts come to mind. One is to sew a cover for the bag with a thin clear vinyl, or for a different look-cover with a thin tulle in a coordinating color. It will give the bag a different look, but would definitely protect the embroidery.

Best Answer

Aleene's fabric glue will work great. You can find this online, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby. This product is wonderful for it is generally used to apply motifs and such to fabric and it DOES NOT wash out. It does not make your fabric stiff either. I have used it very often with great results. Hope this helps.
Lets us know what has worked for you.

Elaine

Unfortunately, anything quick and easy will also be at least a little bit stiff. A thin lining hand stiched inside would be the best. It dosen't have to fit in perfectly, just lay the bag down on fabric and cut the lining 1-2" bigger.

Londa