Hand Embroidery Tips and Tricks

Category Embroidery
Hand Embroidery
So many beautiful and fun patterns can be embroidered on clothing and linens. This guide contains hand embroidery tips and tricks.

Coffee filters can make a wonderful substitution for tearaway stabilizer when doing a small hand or machine embroidery project.

By Patti

Ever wish you had a different size scroll bar set? I use half inch diameter dowel rods from the home improvement store and cut to whatever width I need at the time. I have widths ranging from 8 inches to 36 inches. They fit in the scroll frame as well as the ones you get from the craft stores and are a lot cheaper!

By Marti S from Athens, GA

I am working on a gown that has sheer overlay in an organdy or similar fabric. I want to do some embroidery on the sheer fabric. Any tips? I hand embroidery all the time but never attempted doing it on sheers.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Use the finest needle so it won't leave "punch" marks.

Make real, real tiny knots behind the solid bits of embroidery, and work several inches of thread into the back of the design before cutting off the thread. Launder with caution! Those thread ends look real messy when they get loose.

I have a computerized embroidery machine and I do this a lot. If you need stability there are several water soluble topping that can be purchased to make the organza stiffer and easier to embroider.

Sewing machine sales shops sell special paper that you can temporarily fuse to the back of the sheer material while you are embroidering it, and it removes easily, if you follow the instructions. Also ask at your fabric store for it. Great stuff.

Remember to knot and cut your thread between motifs or anytime you are moving to something new.

Besides the previously mentioned materials to reinforce, you can sew with tissue paper under the material which helps the thread to remain evenly sewn. The benefit is it is easy to tear away when you have finished the project. A dab of clear nail polish on the knots also stops it unraveling.

The April/May 2003 issue of THREADS Magazine.has a great article on embroidering on sheer fabric. The article suggests a wash away or heat away stabilizer,as tear aways tend to distort the fabric. The right needle is also important. A needle for silks is recommended.