Keeping Embroidery Threads In Place?

I have a bag that is embroidered and the thread is getting caught on items and it is also starting to get fuzzy. Is there anything I can spray on it to hold the thread in place. I thought about hairspray? Would that work? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mindy

Anonymous
Best Answer

There is a product at Hancock Fabrics that is called Fray-Check, you could try that.
Also, my sister has used white glue, ( either full-strength or half and half with water); she uses this to stiffen her crocheted Christmas ornaments, I imagine that it would stop the fray as well, however, it will probably make your embroidery stiff. This glue dries colorless. Worth a try, to prevent further damage to the embroidery. Good luck.

By daury (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Two thoughts come to mind. One is to sew a cover for the bag with a thin clear vinyl, or for a different look-cover with a thin tulle in a coordinating color.

It will give the bag a different look, but would definitely protect the embroidery.

Best Answer

Aleene's fabric glue will work great. You can find this online, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby. This product is wonderful for it is generally used to apply motifs and such to fabric and it DOES NOT wash out. It does not make your fabric stiff either. I have used it very often with great results. Hope this helps.
Lets us know what has worked for you.

Elaine

By londa (Guest Post)

Unfortunately, anything quick and easy will also be at least a little bit stiff. A thin lining hand stiched inside would be the best. It dosen't have to fit in perfectly, just lay the bag down on fabric and cut the lining 1-2" bigger.

Londa

Hairspray would be a good start. I use it to stiffen silk flowers. (which are really made of polyester) The brand or hairspray I prefer is "Got 2 Be STIFF" It's the strongest, best holding stuff around. BUT the problem with hairspray is the rain (& I live in Seattle!). So I've tried clear glossy spray paint over the dried hairspray but it left a sheen, so next time I'll try a matt clear spray paint over the hair spray. Right after you spray the hairspray, while it's still wet, try rolling the threads back & forth between your finger & thumb to reshape the embroidery thread. What is your bag made of? Fabric, leather or what?

PS Fray check IS great stuff! & it doesn't wash off like hairspray does. Walmart sells it for half the usual price!

If you do use white glue, make sure you dilute it to half strength with water or it will give your embroidery a "milky" appearance. I think the fray check is your best bet.

You might also try Scotch Guard, but only on a small place that is inconspicuous. Most of the things offered, except fraycheck, will wash or wear off. SG won't.

Also, if this bag had sentimental value, or if you labored for a while making it, it might be time to hang it up. Literally, hang it up on the door for mail to go out, kids permission slips, library books, etc. Or you can simply hang it up and put dried or silk flowers in. It will add beauty to your home and never have a chance of being damaged further.

By kcarskc (Guest Post)

I had a small coin-type zippered bag that showed all the loose strings on the inside so I turned it inside out and ironed on a piece of pellon. (correct me if I'm wrong, ladies) I used to use it on the inside of shirts when I'd crossstich on them. I think it's called pellon?

Crafts Needlework EmbroideryAugust 6, 2008
🐰
🌻
🐛
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf53748282.tip.html