Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Hydrosil Heating Question

Does anyone have any advice about buying HydroSil heaters? I'm looking for a way to lower my propane heating costs at my fishing cabin in Missouri. Thanks.

By Jim from Bellevue, NE

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jim robins11/17/2013

I have had several 110 hydro soil heaters over the years. I cannot measure any real difference in my electric bill when they are on. We kept one room almost 80 degrees for an aged person. I have had to replace a couple parts on the temp control burnt always have received free parts.

By peedenmark712/05/2010

Since '04 our primary home is heated solely by hydro-sil heaters. We have found that they have saved us a minimum of 30 and during some months up to 40-ish % over the old TPI non silicone filled 20 year old electric baseboard heaters which we replaced.

I've read some comments about hydro-sil's being noisy. this can be the case if you are pushing too many amps through your existing thermostat. we had this problem with [2] 8 foot silicone units in our master bedroom. we replaced the old Honeywell thermostat with hydro-sils digital programmable one which handles up to 4000 watts and All of the noise went away. The upstairs now runs as quite as our great room.

I find it odd that folks will spend big bucks for these heaters, but cheap out on the thermostat. Count the wattage, figure your amperage and check your existing thermostat which today only handle 22 amps.
chances are you have a mismatch and you are slowly burning up the points in your old thermostat. By all means go digital, far better control over the vague "comfort zone" marked ones of the old days.

I also read lots of hoo-haa about USA made ones being quieter than their Chinese counterparts. If hydro-sil has USA made units in stock, you can request them. "As much as I vastly prefer products made in the states to perceived china crap, all save for one of the hydro-sils in our primary residence are Chinese made and they are all noiseless. We've had zero problems whatsoever!

I'll sum it up like this... my wife and I believe so strongly in hydro-sil, that we looked long and hard for a large lot of nice used ones for our cottage. I stress the word USED as we didn't want to spend heavily for new ones during this economic downturn, but realized fully our old baseboard heaters in the cottage were bleeding us financially each month.

I found/purchased a lot of 11 very clean used silicone filled USA built hydro-sils with 5 hydro-sil digital thermostats for $900 this week! So don't let the word used scare you as hydro-sils are built to last. Do some looking on the net because as we found there are at times folks that bought one too many and have brand new ones in the box for substantially less. Granted warranty does not transfer, but there is always a trade off when you wanna saving money.
For my money, hydro-sil is simply the best baseboard heater money can buy.

I should also add, that there is a cousin to the hydro-sil brand called Qmark. I am told that Marley manufacturers both namesakes and that they are identical. However, be warned that hydro-sil has a lifetime warranty and Qmark a 1 year warranty. Qmark is considerably cheaper than hydro-sil but you are losing length of warranty. it appears as though they distinguish the 2 lines by different lengths of the heater as well. Do some checking into both and make your decision on what is important, price or warranty.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hydrosil Heating Question

I am researching info about these Hydrosil heaters. I currently have a houseful of the old electric style baseboards. They are efficient and I am able to keep my all electric household on a reasonable budget. I can't decide if I really need these new silicone replacements. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rufus

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

We've had a 5-ft. Hydrosil heater (110 volt) for around 14 yrs. The thermostat went out 3-4 yrs. ago, and a call to the company got a new one on its way with no cost to us. We use the heater in an added-on porch room with 8 windows that is rarely used in the wintertime except for over-wintering plants and as a sleeping room for our outside dog in bad weather. This is our only source of heat in this room, and we keep it cool - around 55 degrees. We'd have preferred a 220 volt unit, but running a 220 line would have been difficult. We have been extremely pleased with our heater and would not hesitate to buy another one if needed. We live in Indiana (04/29/2008)

By SharonKK

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I had a hydrosil hardwired in my barn in the tack room and I love it - I live in Maine so it gets really cold. I have not had to turn the thermostat beyond 1 1/2 (goes 1-10). The heater keeps the room really toasty and doesn't dry out my leather riding tack like my old electric baseboard heater did and it's very cost effective. We are finishing a huge four season room that is about 900+ sq feet and are going to have hydrosil baseboards installed. The initial unit cost is more than a traditional baseboard unit but the savings on the utility bill and the quality of the heat is well worth it. (06/25/2008)

By LH

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I bought one about 1995, and recently bought another for this past winter 2007-2008. Since the fins they replaced were circa-1960, the Hydrosil blew it out of the water in terms of heat, comfort, and electric bill. (07/12/2008)

By Roberta

Hydrosil Heating/cooling Question

I live in Minnesota and I am interested in Hydrosil ductless split system to heat and cool our basement. Can someone give me feedback on the latest product? (08/17/2008)

By ladoirie

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I am stuck with two 6' Hydrosil Heaters and two upgraded thermostats due to the "NO RETURN/NO REFUND" policy. Within days of receiving our heaters we decided to go with central HVAC and so we didn't need them. They are still in the box and we would love for you to take them off our hand at any reasonable offer. Please post and I will reply. (08/17/2008)

By Amy

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy, I am interested in the heaters and thermostats you have. Email me at pdscripture AT comcast.net, with a phone number and a good time to call, and we'll talk. I am located in NH. (08/24/2008)

By PeterD39

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I have an apartment with these units and they are the best units I have ever had, I am currently remodeling a house with electric heat and I just ordered $3,000 worth of units, I will write more when I receive them, but as of now they are worth the money and are an economical and very comfortable heat. (08/26/2008)

By John Augusta

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy, Do you still have Hydrosil units? I am interested in buying them for a test project. Reach me at 978 nine two two 5518 or email wpmact AT gmail dot com (08/31/2008)

By Wayne Miller

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

AMY, Do you still have your hydrosils available? I'm looking for 2 portable 5 fts. Please email me at Sam524mom AT yahoo.com and let me know if they are still available. Thanks, Katie (09/02/2008)

By Katie

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy--If you still have your hydrosil units, please let me know: wcmjr53 AT aol.com. I'm also in NH. Thanks. (09/03/2008)

By Bill

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

Are the Hydrosil units UL Listed? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see that on the website. I'd be wary of installing any electric device that is not UL Listed in my home. Thanks. (10/06/2008)

By Andy5000

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I was thinking of buying a couple hydrosils, then I found "Econo Heaters" and wow! They run cheaply! I bought 2 for less than $100.00 each. My den was so cold til I installed the first heater & then was always very warm & cozy. After a few months the switch started getting very hot & I contacted the company & they said they'd replace the entire unit but I had to pay the S&H & insurance so it was spendy.

They did send out a new unit immediately & so far that one has been ok, although you have to be extra careful of the flimsy switches. Next time, I think I'll get them hardwired & run a thermostat. They run for 3 cents an hour and the bonus (and original reason I bought one) was that they run on such low wattage that I no longer blew fuses, as I had when I was using other heaters.

I had tried a bunch of types & hated the noise, power surges, fan kicking in & lights flickering & then poof! Lol! So, the Econo heaters are excellent & I see they've recently improved them (I hope they improved the switches). I will definitely buy more and love that I can leave them on as long as I want & they make no discernible difference in my light bill. My old oil radiators really worked great but used so much electricity, and I HATE the electric heaters that kick on & blow, then kick off & suddenly the room's cold.

Those just suck up electricity and are not at all efficient & are major fire hazards. Try one Econo heater & I think you'll be hooked. One unit's supposed to heat a 10 X 10 room and they easily do. They make no sound at all. I have found that running a small fan is helpful for circulating the heat but you don't need to. This winter I will be using mine a LOT what with the high oil prices! I like the even-heat they provide.

Thanks to all who gave feedback on the Hydrosils. They sound great but they definitely use a lot more juice than Econo Heaters and much higher wattage. Plus, I'd hate to get a faulty unit & be unable to return it for a replacement. Stay snug Peeps. Check out the brutal icicles outside my window a few years back, yeck! Winter's coming, lol. (10/10/2008)

By South Dakota Chick...It's COLD here!

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

I have 3 Hydrosils and would buy them again. I don't have a drafty house but it cuts down on the oil bill. Keeps the house nice and warm. My wood stove is down in the basement, my husband is disabled and can't go down the stairs. It was the best investment I have made. I plan on purchasing another 5ft. I purchased the 3 back in 2005 and two of them were not heating, I called the company he said, "box and ship them back we will send you new ones. With in 2 weeks I had 2 new ones." Life time warranty. They run all the time, the basement gets damp and my husband needs the warmth. We live in the Finger Lakes Area. I love Hydrosil. (11/29/2008)

By Susan S.