Hydrosil Heating Question - Categories:

HeatingHome Improvement

Hydrosil Heating Question

Does anyone have any advice about buying HydroSil heaters? I'm looking for a way to lower my propane heating costs at my fishing cabin in Missouri. Thanks.

By Jim from Bellevue, NE

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Since '04 our primary home is heated solely by hydro-sil heaters. We have found that they have saved us a minimum of 30 and during some months up to 40-ish % over the old TPI non silicone filled 20 year old electric baseboard heaters which we replaced.

I've read some comments about hydro-sil's being noisy. this can be the case if you are pushing too many amps through your existing thermostat. we had this problem with [2] 8 foot silicone units in our master bedroom. we replaced the old Honeywell thermostat with hydro-sils digital programmable one which handles up to 4000 watts and All of the noise went away. The upstairs now runs as quite as our great room.

I find it odd that folks will spend big bucks for these heaters, but cheap out on the thermostat. Count the wattage, figure your amperage and check your existing thermostat which today only handle 22 amps.

chances are you have a mismatch and you are slowly burning up the points in your old thermostat. By all means go digital, far better control over the vague "comfort zone" marked ones of the old days.

I also read lots of hoo-haa about USA made ones being quieter than their Chinese counterparts. If hydro-sil has USA made units in stock, you can request them. "As much as I vastly prefer products made in the states to perceived china crap, all save for one of the hydro-sils in our primary residence are Chinese made and they are all noiseless. We've had zero problems whatsoever!

I'll sum it up like this... my wife and I believe so strongly in hydro-sil, that we looked long and hard for a large lot of nice used ones for our cottage. I stress the word USED as we didn't want to spend heavily for new ones during this economic downturn, but realized fully our old baseboard heaters in the cottage were bleeding us financially each month.

I found/purchased a lot of 11 very clean used silicone filled USA built hydro-sils with 5 hydro-sil digital thermostats for $900 this week! So don't let the word used scare you as hydro-sils are built to last. Do some looking on the net because as we found there are at times folks that bought one too many and have brand new ones in the box for substantially less. Granted warranty does not transfer, but there is always a trade off when you wanna saving money.

For my money, hydro-sil is simply the best baseboard heater money can buy.

I should also add, that there is a cousin to the hydro-sil brand called Qmark. I am told that Marley manufacturers both namesakes and that they are identical. However, be warned that hydro-sil has a lifetime warranty and Qmark a 1 year warranty. Qmark is considerably cheaper than hydro-sil but you are losing length of warranty. it appears as though they distinguish the 2 lines by different lengths of the heater as well. Do some checking into both and make your decision on what is important, price or warranty.

I have had several 110 hydro soil heaters over the years. I cannot measure any real difference in my electric bill when they are on. We kept one room almost 80 degrees for an aged person. I have had to replace a couple parts on the temp control burnt always have received free parts.

September 30, 2010 Flag

I am considering Hydrosil heating. What is the electric consumption and cost?

Gerald

Answers:

Hydrosil Heating Question

My first experience with Hydrosil was in October 2006. I ordered one five foot portable heater; received it one week later; loved it; and still love it. On 11/08/08 I finally decided to order two more five foot portable heaters for the winter. But, I did not receive my heaters until January 5, 2009! I called three times while I was waiting and was told that the holdup was because they were switching to a new digital model.

My advice is this, don't bother ordering this new digital heater, unless you like a heater that buzzes really loudly! And the digital readout screen is almost impossible to see, unless you tip the heater. The new digital model heats just fine, but it is only quiet while it is heating or cooling. Once it gets to the programmed temperature, then it buzzes and vibrates constantly. Both heaters I ordered behaved the same way!

As you know Hydrosil doesn't give back your money, so lo and behold, they said they'd send me two old style heaters instead. I never really wanted the digital kind, anyway. I just wanted to have two more heaters like I ordered in 2006.

The morale of this feedback is: Beware of the new digital models. I was told that Hydrosil will be shifting to these for all their new sales. They are not made in the USA, like the older models. They are made in China, and boy, do they sound like it! I will let you know if Hydrosil makes good on their promise to send me the older style heaters before the end of winter!
(01/12/2009)

By Pittsboro, NC

Hydrosil Heating Question

I ordered a Hydrosil Heater 5 foot portable digital model, I'm still undecided. I use this heater In a 130 square ft. room that is well insulted. I liked the idea of having a digital thermostat. The heater I had previously used in this room was the old style oil radiator electric model. I always had to adjust the heat.

I was sold on the idea of Hydrosil's digital thermostat, set it and for get it. The good news is that it does heat the room very well and is very quite. After receiving the heater I noticed that the thermostat was off by about 5 degrees. I emailed the company and they replied that it may not be large enough to adequately heat the room, they said to call them for more information. I did call and a service representative said that the sensor for the digital thermostat is located directly under the thermostat near the floor and it may be reading the floor temperature. Hum. I placed a rug under the unit and it made no difference.

I'm not sure if the heater will save me any money or not. The main reason I purchased it was because of its energy savings claim. The old oil radiator worked well, but the cost to run it was ridiculous. I guess my electric bill will tell the tail. I'm still a bit frustrated of the confusing thermostat readings. If the unit continually runs then I'm sure there will be no savings. The jury is out. I live in Indiana. (01/13/2009)

By Thomas

Hydrosil Heating Comment

Beware. Hydro-Sil's ads are misleading. Their ad in Popular Science said "Lifetime Warranty" so I bought a 120 volt unit.

It was delivered in early January. We read the directions, set the thermostat and plugged it in. In "never" delivered heat to the thermostat setting. Either the heat was too high or it was far below the setting. One night we woke up to 45 degrees! And it tripped the circuit breaker on our 220 volt electric box so I called the company. I said I wanted to return the unit. I explained that we had just received our heater and its problems.

The customer services person said: The unit is "not" returnable, that was on your receipt. I said, but it is defective. He said, "the unit is not returnable. Good-by." and he hung up.

So do not risk losing your investment; buy from a company that stands behind their products.

(01/15/2009)

By K. Lind

Hydrosil Heating Question

HydroSil has been on the market for 30 years and have always tried to give customers the satisfaction they deserve. If a customer has a defective unit then we replace that unit. A customer who claims that we "do not stand behind our warranty" needs to know that we will be more than happy to replace the unit. If that unit is "Buzzing" then it needs to be replaced. If there are any issues with our products customers need to call us at 1{800} 627-9276 to take care of those problems. This a issue Hydro-Sil takes very seriously and will do whatever the customer needs to resolve the issue. (01/27/2009)

By hydrosil

Hydrosil Heating Question

I purchased a Hydrosil heater and it worked excellently for a year or more.
I recently had a problem with it.
Hydrosil asked me to return it to them and they would replace it.
Came home today and replacement heater was waiting for me.
My problem has been solved.

Kurt from MA (02/26/2009)

By ksb68

Hydrosil Heating Question

Don't bother with Hydrosil. Pure junk. I had a unit I bought several years ago and it worked beautifully. Bought another with the new digital display and it never heated the room and almost caused a fire in the outlet because it overheated. The old analog units were made in the USA. The newer models are made in China and as is the case with most things made in China, a piece of worthless crap. (06/14/2010)

By remyno

December 11, 2008 Flag

I am researching info about these Hydrosil heaters. I currently have a houseful of the old electric style baseboards. They are efficient and I am able to keep my all electric household on a reasonable budget. I can't decide if I really need these new silicone replacements. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Rufus

Answers:

Hydrosil Heating Question

We've had a 5-ft. Hydrosil heater (110 volt) for around 14 yrs. The thermostat went out 3-4 yrs. ago, and a call to the company got a new one on its way with no cost to us.
We use the heater in an added-on porch room with 8 windows that is rarely used in the wintertime except for over-wintering plants and as a sleeping room for our outside dog in bad weather. This is our only source of heat in this room, and we keep it cool - around 55 degrees. We'd have preferred a 220 volt unit, but running a 220 line would have been difficult. We have been extremely pleased with our heater and would not hesitate to buy another one if needed. We live in Indiana (04/29/2008)

By SharonKK

Hydrosil Heating Question

I had a hydrosil hardwired in my barn in the tack room and I love it - I live in Maine so it gets really cold. I have not had to turn the thermostat beyond 1 1/2 (goes 1-10). The heater keeps the room really toasty and doesn't dry out my leather riding tack like my old electric baseboard heater did and it's very cost effective. We are finishing a huge four season room that is about 900+ sq feet and are going to have hydrosil baseboards installed. The initial unit cost is more than a traditional baseboard unit but the savings on the utility bill and the quality of the heat is well worth it. (06/25/2008)

By LH

Hydrosil Heating Question

I bought one about 1995, and recently bought another for this past winter 2007-2008. Since the fins they replaced were circa-1960, the Hydrosil blew it out of the water in terms of heat, comfort, and electric bill. (07/12/2008)

By Roberta

Hydrosil Heating/cooling Question

I live in Minnesota and I am interested in Hydrosil ductless split system to heat and cool our basement. Can someone give me feedback on the latest product? (08/17/2008)

By ladoirie

Hydrosil Heating Question

I am stuck with two 6' Hydrosil Heaters and two upgraded thermostats due to the "NO RETURN/NO REFUND" policy. Within days of receiving our heaters we decided to go with central HVAC and so we didn't need them. They are still in the box and we would love for you to take them off our hand at any reasonable offer. Please post and I will reply. (08/17/2008)

By Amy

Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy, I am interested in the heaters and thermostats you have. Email me at pdscripture AT comcast.net, with a phone number and a good time to call, and we'll talk. I am located in NH. (08/24/2008)

By PeterD39

Hydrosil Heating Question

I have an apartment with these units and they are the best units I have ever had, I am currently remodeling a house with electric heat and I just ordered $3,000 worth of units, I will write more when I receive them, but as of now they are worth the money and are an economical and very comfortable heat. (08/26/2008)

By John Augusta

Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy, Do you still have Hydrosil units? I am interested in buying them for a test project.
Reach me at 978 nine two two 5518 or email wpmact AT gmail dot com (08/31/2008)

By Wayne Miller

Hydrosil Heating Question

AMY, Do you still have your hydrosils available? I'm looking for 2 portable 5 fts. Please email me at Sam524mom AT yahoo.com and let me know if they are still available. Thanks, Katie (09/02/2008)

By Katie

Hydrosil Heating Question

Amy--If you still have your hydrosil units, please let me know: wcmjr53 AT aol.com. I'm also in NH. Thanks. (09/03/2008)

By Bill

Hydrosil Heating Question

Are the Hydrosil units UL Listed? Maybe I missed it but I didn't see that on the website. I'd be wary of installing any electric device that is not UL Listed in my home. Thanks. (10/06/2008)

By Andy5000

Hydrosil Heating Question

I was thinking of buying a couple hydrosils, then I found "Econo Heaters" and wow! They run cheaply! I bought 2 for less than $100.00 each. My den was so cold til I installed the first heater & then was always very warm & cozy. After a few months the switch started getting very hot & I contacted the company & they said they'd replace the entire unit but I had to pay the S&H & insurance so it was spendy.

They did send out a new unit immediately & so far that one has been ok, although you have to be extra careful of the flimsy switches. Next time, I think I'll get them hardwired & run a thermostat. They run for 3 cents an hour and the bonus (and original reason I bought one) was that they run on such low wattage that I no longer blew fuses, as I had when I was using other heaters.

I had tried a bunch of types & hated the noise, power surges, fan kicking in & lights flickering & then poof! Lol! So, the Econo heaters are excellent & I see they've recently improved them (I hope they improved the switches). I will definitely buy more and love that I can leave them on as long as I want & they make no discernible difference in my light bill. My old oil radiators really worked great but used so much electricity, and I HATE the electric heaters that kick on & blow, then kick off & suddenly the room's cold.

Those just suck up electricity and are not at all efficient & are major fire hazards. Try one Econo heater & I think you'll be hooked. One unit's supposed to heat a 10 X 10 room and they easily do. They make no sound at all. I have found that running a small fan is helpful for circulating the heat but you don't need to. This winter I will be using mine a LOT what with the high oil prices! I like the even-heat they provide.

Thanks to all who gave feedback on the Hydrosils. They sound great but they definitely use a lot more juice than Econo Heaters and much higher wattage. Plus, I'd hate to get a faulty unit & be unable to return it for a replacement. Stay snug Peeps. Check out the brutal icicles outside my window a few years back, yeck! Winter's coming, lol. (10/10/2008)

By South Dakota Chick...It's COLD here!

RE: Hydrosil Heating Question

Hydrosil Heating Question

I have 3 Hydrosils and would buy them again. I don't have a drafty house but it cuts down on the oil bill. Keeps the house nice and warm. My wood stove is down in the basement, my husband is disabled and can't go down the stairs. It was the best investment I have made. I plan on purchasing another 5ft. I purchased the 3 back in 2005 and two of them were not heating, I called the company he said, "box and ship them back we will send you new ones. With in 2 weeks I had 2 new ones." Life time warranty. They run all the time, the basement gets damp and my husband needs the warmth. We live in the Finger Lakes Area. I love Hydrosil. (11/29/2008)

By Susan S.

April 25, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

September 4, 2007 Flag
Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingSeptember 30, 2010
family Warming Feet by Fire
Winter Heating Tips
Electric Heating Pad
Uses for an Electric Heating Pad
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 2:04:10 PM on 10.0.2.116 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.