Healthy Snacks Ideas

I am looking for ideas for very inexpensive, low fat, healthy snacks. I do have access to a microwave at work and not always a fridge. I eat apples and pretzels every day and need something else.

Thank you,
Mindy from Oregon

Triscuts with thin slices of cheese (any kind), maybe a slice or two of olive, pepperoni (or deli meat), tomato, or anything else. Microwave for about 10 seconds. The cracker remains crisp, and the snack taste awesome. Kids love it. And it only uses a tiny bit of cheese if you slice it thin but packs a bunch of taste. Totally healthy, full of calcuim and fiber but tastes almost like nachos only less soggy. four or five will keep your child tide over till dinnertime and wont ruin their appetite.

Have you ever tried garbanzo beans (a.k.a., chick peas)?

They're available in grocery store bulk bins, dried, and these are much better than the canned version (which are pre-cooked and usually over-cooked).

One of my favourite snacks is to soak and cook them, but not to the point where they're soft.

Cover with water, soak for an hour,

bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes

(or a bit longer, checking consistency).

Cook them to the point of a nut-like hardness (much like peanuts or cashews).

Drain, add spices: garlic powder, salt, onion powder, dill ... whatever combination you prefer.

Just plain salt is good, too.

Toss or stir to distribute spices and voila! Nut-like snack with none of the fat content and all the flavour/texture.

Cook a fair-sized batch and freeze in 2-cup-size containers. Thaw each in the fridge and season according to preference.

Almonds, SmartBalance microwave popcorn, beef jerky, Wheat Thin crackers, soy chips or soy nuts. On days you have access to a fridge you could take yogart, cherry tomatoes, celery & carrot sticks, grapes or broccolli florets and low cal ranch dressing.

I love to snack on the Post Honeynut Shredded Wheats (dry)! So good for you and tastes great.

You should have some kind of protein with the apple and etc. Cheese, hardboiled egg, peanut butter, the kind with only peanuts and maybe salt added, you need it for the energy and stamina.

Until I met a lady GIVING away free Organic Produce

from her garden, I NEVER heard of this before she told me, but cucumber slices make a great healthy snack food. I sort of snickered when she told me, but when I got home and tried them, she was right! I actually not only ate them like a snack, but cut slices and added them to my pickle jar, which took about two weeks to "make". I don't eat many pickled

foods because of the salt, but left over cucumbers, green beans, mini-corn, peppers, and cauliflour make good pickled snacks, without refrig.

Remember that before eating carb snacks, like pretzels, you could havea can of tuna or "a V8 "! LOL

Tuna, peanut butter, boiled/microwaved eggs are

some of the best high protein "snacks" one can eat. Boiled eggs will be safe unrefrig. for about a week if the shell is unbroken. They are about the cheapest

high protein available.

If you have access to a grocery/market, you could zip

in and choose a small bag of mixed single item veggies and a can of "refried beans" for their dip, rather than

rely on a refrig. to keep a salad dressing cool for all

As was described on this site, corn on the cob can be microwaved IN THE SHUCKS for about 20 sec. and it turns out GREAT, even for a snack with a little salt/pepper?

You can hardly beat an apple from New Zealand, all organic, I was told. Organic bananas are DELICIOUS. Popcorn can be microwaved. Wheat crackers and bean dip beat chips/ "other" dip in my opinion, in nutritional value, healthy food facts. Drink plenty of water with whatever you choose, even in Winter.

Are you stuffing your hollowed apple with peanut butter? or cheese? Are you able to buy bread at a discount store? " 'Animal' breads" are the absolute best buy in those stores, at about 6-8 loaves/packages for $1.50, and you can also find wheat bread in them occasionally, as well as fried pies! Even if they are smashed as they are told to do, we have found them to be perfectly edible even

The best information you can receive is to try for a healthy balance in your diet with proteins (meats/nuts/eggs), veggies (tomatoes, carrots, raw

yellow and zuchinni, raw young asparagus, and raw

peeled turnips, not starcy veggies; and fruits (avoid the spoiled ones, of course, because they are suspected of causing systemic yeast infections). Peaches/grapes are reported to have the most pesticide residual on/in them. Remember who has fruit trees, fig bushes, berry vines, and are friendly? Should you get a surplus of something, you could share with them in return?

Hope you will consider these? God bless you in your best decisions/choices. : )

mix a jar of apple cider vinegar (hopefully raw) and sugar and water (you have to play with the amounts to get a mix just right for your sweet/sour taste) with just a touch of salt.

pour this over any kind of cut raw vegetable for refrigerator pickles. let it set in the fridge a while. you can reuse the dressing on the same type vegetable at least one more time.

try the following veggies:

cabbage (a little soy sauce in the dressing is good)

cucumbers with or without onions

carrots and celery

green peppers with or without cherry tomatoes &/or onions

cauliflower with or without onions &/or carrots

too many combinations to list really.

Thank you for all your is so easy for me to get a rut and keep eating the same things until I can no longer look at an apple.

Good eatings to you all -- I love this site!!

how about freeze drieed fruit.... rice cakes with peanut butter.........raisins.......applesauce..fruitcups

Healthy Snack Ideas

Fruit cup

Mixed nuts

Chicken noodle soup

Green or red peppers

Peanut butter crackers

Whole wheat cereal with skim milk

Trail mix

Whole wheat bagel or toast

Pure bran muffins

Fruit smoothie

Sweet potato

Broth-based vegetable soup

Skim and low-fat milk

Bean soup

An apple, granola bar, nuts and dark chocolate squares.
Healthy Snacks
Food and Recipes Food Tips SnacksOctober 1, 2006
A woman eating an apple.
Low Calorie Snacks
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Healthy Crockpot Recipes
Nutritious Snacks for Kids
Nutritious Snacks for Kids
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks