Repelling Hornets, Bumble Bees, and Wasps

Many people prefer to keep hornets, bumble bees, and wasps away from where their homes. While they can seem like pests it is important to note that bumble bees are especially important to the environment. Repelling versus exterminating is best if you really don't want them around. This is a guide about repelling hornets, bumble bees, and wasps.

August 15, 2015 Flag

This one is easy. To keep wasps from setting up a home near your front door or around your home - mix 2-3 tablespoons of Dawn dishsoap and about 2-3 cups of water. Put into a spray bottle, I bought mine at Walmart for $1; shake and that's it. Spray where they keep coming back to, to make a new nest. This will also kill them and drop them like a hat. Just be sure to put the spray bottle on stream not spray. The one pictured I nailed on a plant. He dropped off and was dead in less than a minute. There is something in the Dawn that not only drops them, but kills them too. The soap also stops them from making the wasp nest to begin with, the nest will not adhere to where the soap is. You might need to try and see how long it takes for them to come back, then just use as maintenance to keep them at bay. It is a lot cheaper than those bug sprays, but more importantly- a whole lot safer!

September 4, 2007 Flag

Wasps seek me out? I cannot go outside without being swooped at. I went outside today for about 10-15 mins. and I was "swooped" at enough for the folks I was with were startled (6-7x). Is there something that attracts them and is there something that will deter them?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you wearing cologne? Hair spray? Scented lotion? Wasps love these things.

If you're not using any of these, I guess you're just an especially sweet person!

Often bees and other bugs are attracted to what we use in our hair. I tell my friends when we go hiking, "No hair products!"

I do not know about wasps but I remember when I was little that my mom could step out the door and mosquittos would come after her from nowhere. They not be bothering anybody else but her. She went to the doctor and asked him about it. The doctor told her that she was lacking in some type of vitamin. She went and bought that vitamin and started taking it. NO MORE MOSQUITTOs. It was like a miracle.

rda

One thing that attracks wasps is meat and the smell of bbq. They also seem to like sweet drinks. Also don't wear any perfumes outside at all or any scented hair products.

You might try wearing a bug spray outside to try and detract them, one with very little scent. Also do you have a wasp nest around your house that you need to find and get rid of??

August 23, 2011 Flag

We seem to have an infestation of hornets and cannot seem to find the nest anywhere. Does anyone have an inexpensive solution to repelling the little pests? My husband is allergic to the bites. Please help, we do not have the finances to call in an exterminator.

By javamom77

We have also been fighting Japanese Hornets this year in central Virginia and have wasted losts of money on commercial products. None have worked very well. What has worked fairly well is empty water bottles filled about 1/3 full with sugar water and hung from a tree or post. The more you put out the better. A fairly strong mixture of 1 part sugar and 1 part water works pretty well. They go in the bottle and most can't figure out how to get out and eventually drown. Every now and then you will get one that does get back out, but not very many are that smart. These suckers around here are big, and aggressive. If you get stung it can be deadly. Good luck.

Home and Garden Pest Control Bees & WaspsDecember 5, 2011
Wasp on Vespiary
Getting Rid of Wasps
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home
bumblebee
Getting Rid of Bees
🎉
🎄