Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Thrift Store Smell from Clothing

How do I remove the thrift store smell from clothing and the store?

By lupat from TN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By eddiesmom09/19/2010

Baking soda in the wash cycle and vinegar in the rinse cycle did not work for me. Instead I used Nature's Miracle Stain and Odor Remover and it worked. It is sold online and in most pet stores for $10 a bottle. I shook the bottle well, poured it into a large stainless steel bowl and put my infant's clothes in to saturate. Once completely covered I wrung them then washed as usual. I thought of this because it always works on getting cat pee out of things so figured it would work on thrift store stench and it did!

By Mary Koehler [8]09/13/2009

Put a jar of Fresh-Wave air freshener in the closet where clothes are.

By Carlos09/04/2009

Mix a cup of "Borax" and a 3 tablespoon of "Dawn" (dish washer detergent) soak your cloths for a couple hours, rinse and put them in the washer
Cleaningpro

By Fionar Booker09/04/2009

If they need to be dry cleaned, try Dryel sheets. You can find them in the supermarket with the laundry products. They come with a big zip up bag and special sheets. You place a few garments in the bag with one of the special damp sheets, zip it up and put it in the dryer. It makes them smell beautiful and they are all fresh and clean. When they come out, they're very slightly damp but you hang them up and they're like new. Sometimes they have coupons on line. Good luck.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]09/01/2009

Sorry, PoorbutProud. Thrift store clothes do, indeed, have a special scent all their own. It reminds me of my grandma's attic, and it doesn't seem to matter what store they came from or how clean it's kept.
I always wash my purchases before I wear them - and since joining TF, I've learned to add a little white vinegar to the rinse. Works for me.

By Sandi [390]09/01/2009

I buy almost everything from thrift stores so I am trying to figure out what a "thrift store smell" is?

I have worked in 5 of them, and they are cleaned nightly, the clothes are gone through by trained employees who only keep the best. Donations from smokers are generally bundled to donate to shelters or sent to other countries.

I guess I have been lucky because I have never gotten anything from a thrift store but good, clean, and "ready to ware" clothes, from stores taking my money for 40 years now.

By Betty [104]09/01/2009

Put vinegar in rinse water. I buy a lot of clothes from thrift stores and vinegar gets rid of the ordors.

By PENNY K [15]08/31/2009

Wash with a bit of borax as well as detergent or baking soda (1/2 cup)if you don't have borax. If they are sweaters, hand wash carefully with liquid dish detergent, put in a little white vinegar in rinse water, dry on towel then air out somewhere for few days , or dry on towel on something in the back yard in the shade...grass would be good, but make sure it's shaded and put on towel.