Growing in a Bag of Top Soil

Please give me some hints or tips on if I did this right. I heard an idea long ago that I could plant some annuals in a bag of top soil. I put these bags where I don't have any flower beds. I bought impatiens and made an "X" for each flower, added some Osmocote and watered. Then the flowers would grow tall and bushy to cover the bag. Did I make a mistake in using topsoil instead of potting mix? I don't think there will be enough nutirents in the top soil for the flowers to thrive. Any help?

Judy from OH

Did you make drainage holes in the bottom of the bag? You might also have better results if you remove the top of the bag completely before ferytilizing and planting. Try googling " instant raised planting bed construction" for more information.

Although I've never heard of this, they should be fine in topsoil. Afterall, most people's gardens are filled with topsoil, not potting soil.

Yes, I have done this several times with impatiens and petunias.

You need to have a green bag, cut 4 x along the front of the bag and insert your plant in each x. Leave the bag to sit for about 3 - 4 weeks in early spring so the roots can grow. Then hang up. Look beautiful.

Jane, Kenton OH

Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsMay 25, 2007
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight