Cleaning a Washing Machine Agitator

How do you thoroughly clean the agitator in a washing machine? My agitator just won't fully spin correctly at all, and I'm thinking that it must be badly caked up from detergent and fabric softener.

By Tiffany from Monticello, AR

Something small could be stuck under the agitator. On most agitators, the tops twists off counter-clockwise, then the agitator will come off.

I doubt that it is stuck up with detergent and fabric softener, but I agree with Widget, that it may be something stuck underneath it. Or something stuck somewhere in the drum. I once had a nail stuck through the hole, and didn't notice this as all there was to see was the head, flush with the drum surface,.

If it doesn't agitate or spin, it may be a part that you need to call a repair man to fix.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersOctober 22, 2010
Washing Machine
Cleaning Soap Scum Out of a Washing Machine
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
Washing Machine
Extending the Life of Your Washing Machine
washing machine drum
Cleaning Hard Water Stains in a Washing Machine Drum
🎄