Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Using Expired Cottage Cheese

A few times, after finding the cottage cheese container buried in the back of the fridge, well past its expiration date, I've tossed it out. Recently, I got ready to toss out another container, but had a 2nd thought. I opened the container and it was soured. I poured the cottage cheese in a colander and ran cool water over it, till it was thoroughly rinsed. I let it drain until hardly any more water was dripping out of it. I tasted it, and it tasted fine, not soured like it had been earlier. I was able to use it in my recipe and the food dish was fine, tasted great. So all this time, I've been wasting money by tossing it out. I won't be doing that anymore.

By Terri from NV

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Susan Larkin (Guest Post)04/21/2008

I have a date that is 20 days old and it doesn't smell sour or taste sour. I think I'll give it a try. Maybe cooking it in lasagna will kill germs?

By Holly (Guest Post)12/02/2005

I think you are pushing your luck.
It's one thing to check and taste to see if the product is 'off' and to use if the expiration is past the date as long as it tastes and smells ok, but to resurrect this from the 'beyond point' is asking for trouble. Maybe you have a tough stomach, but you could make someone with a young or compromised immune system very ill.

By kris12/02/2005

What an ingenious way to use up something that would have been thrown away! I have used cottage cheese up to a month past its due date without it souring just by turning the carton up-side down when I brought it home from the grocery store.

By mrc (Guest Post)12/02/2005

Outdated "soured" cottage cheese can also be put in the blender and used in place of sour cream in recipes or on baked potatoes.

By (Guest Post)12/01/2005

After having food poisoning from dairy I wouldn't eat ANYTHING that smells sour. I was sick for five days from cheddar cheese. My head ache was like migraine. Not a chance I would take again. Not for three dollars! I would of paid $100's not to feel that way!

By Jay A Clark12/01/2005

thank you for the great tip I have tryed it and was very thankful for not having to throw out the cottage cheese because I am always forgeting to use it so thank you again Jay

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.