Substitute for Candied Fruit Peel in Recipe

I am going to make green tomato mincemeat this year as I do most years, however the recipe calls for chopped candied fruit peel which I absolutely detest. In previous years I have just left it out, but I feel that the recipe could use a touch of zip that I'm sure the peel provides otherwise. Is there something else I can substitute for the candied peel? Thanks in advance for any help.

By cheapskate7998 from Ontario, Canada

If it's the candied part you don't like the idea of why not just chop an equivalent size of a non-candied fruit peel?

I suggest to use orange & other zest or flavoring instead of peeling, good luck.

I made a unbaked fruit cake one year and used the colored jell candies. Like the Orange slices. I found the different colors and flavors at the dollar store. It was wonderful and the best fruitcake I had ever eaten. Did I mention that I don't care for fruit cake?

Hi! I don't really have any suggestions here that haven't already been said. However, I would LOVE to have your recipe for the green tomato mincemeat!

I love mincemeat pie, but it's pricey, and we always have green tomatoes by the bushel in the fall before the first frost. Thanks so much!

If you are buying the candied peel, you might try making your own. It has a much fresher, zippy taste without that nasty aftertaste in commercial candied fruits. If you like a touch of bitter, leave some of the white membrane, if you don't like bitter remove all the white you can. Cut the peel in strips and cover with water. Bring to boil, boil 15 minutes and drain. taste the peel, if too bitter, repeat the boiling process until the bitterness is reduced to suit. Boil 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar (add or substitute honey if desired) to make a syrup, add the peels and simmer til the syrup is boiled down thick. You can drain the peels, or add the peels and any syrup to your recipe. If there are any leftover peels, roll in sugar or dip in chocolate for a tasty candy.

Hi. What about trying some dried sultanas or is that too sweet, just a thought. Good luck.

MOCK [GREEN TOMATO] MINCEMEAT FROM 1967 American Woman's Cook Book by the Culinary ARts Intstitute of Chicago.

6 green tomatoes

6 tart apples

1/4 lb seedless raisins [4 oz]

1/4 lb seeded raisins [4 oz]

1 tbsp cinnamon

1/4 cup fruit juice

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup minced citron

2 tbsp. orange rind

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cloves

1/2 tsp allspice

1/2 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp nutmeg

Force tomatoes and cored apples through a food chopper . In 2009 I would use a nice food processor.

Add remaining ingredients and cook until thick. Fill sterilized jars with 1/2" headspace and process in hot water bath 20 minutes. This makes only ONE QUART so you would have to increase it to make a goodly batch. Laurie from Ontario

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I might just try the recipe for making my own peel to see if I like that better than the store stuff, and the idea about using just zest or flavouring is a good one too. All the ideas were very good. Here is my recipe for anyone that is interested:

Green Tomato Mincemeat (makes 6-7 pints)

2 quarts chopped green tomatoes (8 cups)

4 quarts water

1 quart chopped apples (4 cups)

1/2 lb. suet, chopped

6 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 lb. raisins

1/2 lb. mixed peel, chopped (for those who like it!)

1 cup vinegar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. cloves

1 tsp. nutmeg

Wash and core green tomatoes. Chop finely and measure 2 quarts. Add 4 quarts cold water. Boil gently one hour, then let stand overnight. Drain through colander. Add next six ingredients and salt to taste. Mix well and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours. Add spices. Ladle into hot sterilized pint jars and seal.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to say thanks for the mincemeat recipes folks! Ya'll are great!

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsAugust 28, 2009
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Peeling Potatoes
Peeling Potatoes
A partially peeled kiwi.
Peeling Kiwifruit