Dave Ramsey's Car Insurance Philosophy

I've seen a lot of people mention Dave Ramsey on this site. Does anyone know Dave Ramsey's philosophy on car insurance? I listen to the radio show a few times a week but I don't have any of his books. One time I thought I heard him say to keep full coverage unless you have enough cash in the bank to pay for another car if you had to get one, like after an accident or something. We are trying to decide if we should have liability or full coverage. Did I hear him right?

Allison from Northeast TN

I, too, watch his shows now that he is on DirecTV. I would like to know his answer to this also. Why don't you email the question to him at http://www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?fuseAction=dspMailDaveOnAir

so he could answer it on tv for everyone to see. I've never heard this question asked before.

I already emailed him but I don't have 3 hours to listen to the show every single day so I don't know if he's answered it or not.

I asked this question of some friends who listen to Dave Ramsey a lot and this was their response:

"from his forums they have his expanded baby steps list that he uses in his actual classes. It says:

1.3 Consider raising insurance deductibles to $500 or $1000 and dropping full coverage on paid for "bondo buggy" (You have an EF ya know)"

Hope this helps?

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

If you still owe money on the vehicle, you should keep full coverage on it and have the deductible at whatever amount you can afford. If it is paid for, the coverage should depend on the value of the vehicle. As another post mentioned, if the vehicle is only worth a few hundred or 1-2 thousand dollars, there is no sense in spending the money on full coverage. If it is a newer car with low mileage and it's paid for, then by all means, you want to have full coverage. For example, I have a '94 with 142k miles on it. It's only worth about $1200. I have liability only with a $500 deductible. You can find out the value of your vehicle at kellybluebook.com, which is what most car dealers use as a reference.

I have been a facilitator for Dave Ramsey's FPU class for years. He says that unless you have the cash to replace the car then get full coverage on it. And even though he has the cash to replace a car, he personally carries full coverage on his cars because it's such a good deal. Not that much difference between basic liability and full coverage for most folks.

Consumer Advice Cars InsuranceJanuary 18, 2008
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
home insurance file
Lender Placed Insurance