Homemade Remedies For Common Ailments

I was wondering if anyone had great old folk remedies, herbal cures or homeopathic advise... on anything from curing infections to GERD/Adic Reflux etc. What do people do in times like these when they do not have the $$to go to the doctors all the time for minor things like ear infections and sore throats? Thought this might be a fun and interesting post.

Wacky Camper

Go to Prevention.com and in search line put 'homemade remedies'

If you have GERD, it helps to raise the head of the bed a few inches.

An arthritis cure that did not work for me, is to empty a package of raisins into a jar, cover with gin & let sit for about 11 days. Then you are to eat 9 raisins a day.

Yoqurt helps aid digestion.

Here's one that I used for my children when they got coughs and colds. Instead of commercial cough mixtures I made up a concoction of honey, white vinegar and hot water. I can't give exact proportions, just put vinegar in the glass', add honey and hot water. If it tastes too 'vinegarish 'sweeten with more honey. I never had any problems getting my children to swallow this.

I overheard an old man on a train tell someone that you could get rid of a cold when it was just starting by boiling up milk, not just hot, it had to boil, then drink it and it will kill a cold. I've never tried this one!

An old remedy for earache was to fill a clean sock with heated salt and hold it against the ear. This one came from my local pharmacist, after one of my sons had a tooth extracted and it wouldn't stop bleeding. Scary! Put a tea bag into a mug of boiling water as though for a cup of tea. Withdraw the teabag and let it cool off to bearable, then press it against the hole in the gum. It will stop the bleeding. It does work.

When I was a child, I had a bad earache. Since the family was camping, they did not want to go back to town and the hospital.

What was done is urine was placed in both my ears for a few minutes and within 1/2 and hour, the pain was gone. The best thing was I had never had an earache ever again.

I told this story to a friend who always had earaches and she tried this remedy. She had the same results. The acid in the urine kills the infections really quick.

REMEDY FOR COLD.

Take 1/2 a spoon of ajvain seeds and few tulsi leaves. Put it in boiling tea. Consume the same, and see wonders in 2-3 days.

Many of you will be horrified by this, but my hand to God, it works. If you feel a vaginal yeast infection coming on, you can use garlic to cure it. There's something in the garlic that promotes the growth of good bacteria in the vagina that kills the yeast.

Just take a clove of garlic, remove the outer papery skin, but do not puncture or scratch the surface of the garlic. Insert and leave it in for a day. When I've done it, I wrapped the clove in a thin piece of gauze and tied it on one end. That way it's easier to remove (like a tampon). If you find it hard to insert, a water based lubricant will help. If you still feel itchy after one clove, insert another clove. I don't think I've ever had to do it more than twice, and the relief is almost immediate.

I haven't had to use Monostat in years. It's really expensive and really messy. The garlic method is cleaner, cheaper and faster.

For sore throat gargle with salty water,I never measure it,about 1/2 cup warm water,about 1/2 teaspoon salt,mix well,gargle after eating or drinking water,it worked for me this winter,I used it almost all winter,goodluck.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesAugust 15, 2008
black lab
Home Remedies for Pets
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Homemade Vaporub, ointment in jar
Homemade Vaporub Recipes
🎄
🍂