Whites Just Came Out Yellow!

My son just took his whites out of the communal apt. washing machine and they came out yellow. He says that they are evenly yellow and one shirt has two dime sized orange spots on it. All that was in the wash were undershirts and a white pair of pants. I've trained the kids to religiously empty their pockets before washing. He also checked the machine before starting. I told him to simmer down, not do anything and to wait for my email to tell him what to do and would ask here. How can we fix this expense catastrophy that neither of us can afford to replace?

Laura J. Orr

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

i've seen others (Jo) post about soaking whites in "nappy" solution (Diaper soak). I've seen it at Babies r Us, probably also at Walmart in the baby department.

?? That's what I would try.

Tell him to always do a dark load first from now on. That way if some one used dye in the machine it should be gone after his dark load and then his whites will be safe. Bummer!

Maybe try re-washing the clothes with Oxydol if they haven't been through the dryer yet. I once washed a red edged, white t-shirt with underclothes and the whole load turned pink. My wonderful mother-in-law suggested washing everything again with Oxydol and it came out great. Hope this helps.

Sounds like rust. I have a water softener due to hard, rusty water, and if I run out of salt, my whites get yellow, some with rust spots about the size of the holes inside the washer drum - about dime size - where the clothes spun out and were forced against the sides. Since these are all white clothes, I would get some Iron-Out rust remover (sold in hardware stores mostly nowadays) and follow the directions for getting rust out of clothing. It has many other uses, so it wouldn't necessarily be a waste of money. It's never failed me. Hope this helps

Thankyou so much for your answers. I'm in Canada and don't think they have Oxydol up here. Is it a detergent or for something else? Maybe I will be able to find a similar product up here, or just asking at the Hardware store. I haven't heard about Iron-Out Rust Remover here also, but I will check it out. Thankyou!

Sounds like too much bleach in the water. I would suggest like the others, try an oxygen wash product, like oxyclean or anything similar. if the pipes have iron in the water, the bleach may have set the color. instead of bleach he should use borax, the brand I use is 21 mule team borax found in the laudry section of the store. Good Luck!

Try washing them again with Blueing. Buy it in the laundry detergent section. It's blue dye you mix in with water. Makes whites come out white again. Careful not to spil it directly on clothes.

To our Canadian friend.....Oxydol is a laundry detergent. I haven't seen it in our area for years. It was (is ?) a great detergent, similar (I think) to Tide.

add dishwasher detergent instead of bleach yo white clothes

I have a white nylon jacket. I have tried everything that you all have suggested.

Hang it up outside and let it bake in the sun. Amazing what the warm sun will do.

Karen

If possible soak for a couple of days in any of the Fabric Stain Removers or Nappy San or similar. I have a Recycle Clothing Store and find this works 99.9% of the time. Most of these can also be used in the Machine while washing as long as items are Colorfast.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 7, 2005
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Two men Dressed as Storm Troopers
Making a Clone Trooper Costume
A girl working on online college courses using a laptop.
Taking Online College Courses
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 10:43:32 AM on 10.0.2.188 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.