Polishing Silver with Household Products

What is a homemade way to polish a silver dish?

By Holly from Lancaster, WI

Scrub the silver dish using charcoal powder mixing with little water for a few minutes. Then after wash off the dish and again scrub the dish using a piece of lime with dish-wash liquid and wash off.

Line a pan with aluminum foil, boil water in it (or pour boiling water in it if it's too big), add some baking soda (a little for a small pan, more for a bigger pan), then add your item. The tarnish comes right off. I was stunned the first time I heard this and tried it, but it works great!

Toothpaste (not gel toothpaste) and you can find it on the cheap at a dollar store ;-) I have an antique ornate solid silver butter dish my grama gave me as a gift for high school graduation almost 40 years ago and that's what I use. Apply the toothpaste on cotton balls and gently rub in a circular motion with the balls. Then a quick dish soap wash and water rinse and a thorough dry :-)

Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalMay 11, 2010
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Man Polishing Metal Chandelier
Polishing Metal
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing
🎉
🎄