Start Seeds in a Kids Swimming Pool

I do not have the money to go buy the small trays to start seedlings. So, we had a little kid swimming pool we would use to remove the fish from the pond to clean it. I put two bags of top soil in it. In two sections, one side I have tomato plants and the other I have marigolds seeds I saved and dried from last year when they sprout and I transplant them.

I am going to pie it off and start more than just two things I am seeing how good this works.

By Laura from Ocala, Florida

Top Comment

This is a wonderful idea. You might also add a tablespoon or two of compost around each plant as it grows.

I've read this idea before and it seems like a wonderful idea. That person put a clear plastic tarp with air holes poked in over the top of the pool, the first couple of weeks securing it with a rope type tie around sides or tucking it under pool and may have poked a couple of drain holes in bottom too. The idea was to keep it warm enough to sprout the seeds, but at same time plants grew up from beginning used to outdoor temperature therefore no need to harden off plants.

This sounds like a great idea! Thanks! I have a question tho. When it rains how do you keep it from drowning the seeds/seedlings? Do you poke holes in the bottom for drainage first or what?

That is a nifty idea! Thanks for sharing! I know people who used storage totes as well.

Several kiddie pools being used to grow plants
Using a Child's Swimming Pool as a Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersMarch 18, 2010
backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
Boy in Life-vest in Swimming Pool
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools