Use a Child's Swimming Pool for a Patio Garden

contest winner icon

We do not have a place in our backyard to plant a "regular" garden, but we did have room on our patio deck to do something. I came up with an idea for a small garden using a child's plastic swimming pool. I poked holes all over the bottom for drainage, added fertilizer and soil, and planted tomato and pepper plants. I did the same thing using an old plastic barrel-cut in half lengthwise for basil, cilantro, and radishes. As you can see, all my "garden" products are growing well.

By LisaE from WI

Update: We have had extreme heat the last week, and I wanted to show how much my tomatoes, green peppers, and herbs have grown and that using a plastic pool really does work for those with limited backyard space. I just took these pictures.

Top Comment

What a great idea! Looking at the pictures this idea does work well as everything seems to be growing nicely.

Top Comment

Excellent idea and the crops look good. I actually use 8 inch blocks along my fence. I line the inner space with newspaper and dried leaves similar to using a flower pot. For vines like cucumber it is excellent as I only have to use a bread tie or a string to attach them periodically to the fence.

Good job on your garden. Hope it grows well.

How many bags of soil did you use for the pool? Is there such a thing as "too much" soil?