Previously Housetrained Dog Peed Near Christmas Tree

My dog is housetrained, about 4 yrs old, and peed for the first time in ages in the house recently. We were home, and the minute I left the room one evening, he went over to the area carpet below the table where the newly bought and decorated Christmas tree is, and peed on the rug.

Is there an association here or reason that has something to do with being threatened by the new tree? He is a rescue dog, that we have had for almost 2 years now. How do we correct that behavior? Any advice is much appreciated!

By Monzoid from San Francisco, CA

I read this and laugh. Sorry that was funny.

Hello! Dogs mark their scent on trees; he was just doing what is ingrained in him to do.

If it is a real tree, then possibly a dog had 'marked' it before you bought it. Your dog would just be covering the scent to mark his territory.

I think folks her are close to the truth. I would guess when the tree is gone, your problem will be gone too. Just dont bring any fire hydrants into the house and you will be ok. :)

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 10, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree