Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

If I buy a Rainier cherry tree, do I have to buy 2 of them?

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By bjuicy22 from WI

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cyinda [214]09/02/2009

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that in my state (Washington) the growers plant Van Cherries near by to help in pollinating both the Raniers & the Bings.

If I were you, I'd contact your local "Master Gardeners"
You can simply Google "Master Gardeners WI questions"

Here's one for your state:

Ozaukee County, Wisconsin - Master Gardener
EMAIL: mastergardener@co.ozaukee.wi.us.
A volunteer Master Gardener will reply to your question promptly. Your email address will be used for the reply and will ...
http://www.co.ozaukee.wi.us/Mastergardener/HaveAGardenQuestion.htm

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

By Ellen Brown

Question:

I saw your advice on growing a cherry tree from a pit. Does this method remain accurate for the Rainier Cherry? Also, if the pit germinates can't more than one tree come from the pit since there are multiple seeds in the pit? Let me know. Thanks!

Hardiness Zone: 1

Brian B from Portland, OR

Answer:

Brian, You can germinate any type of cherry pit, regardless of the type of cherry tree it comes from. Remember though, the cherries harvested from a tree you germinate from a pit will actually be a hybrid of two parent plants, and the resulting cherries may end up tasting bitter.

A cherry pit only contains one seed and is classified as a drupe (also known as a "stone fruit"). Drupes are fleshy fruits that have a hard stony pit containing a seed. The soft, fleshy part of the fruit (under the skin) is derived from the middle layer of the ovary, and the pit is derived from the inner tissue layer of the ovary. Cracking open the pit will reveal a single seed formed from the ovule contained within the ovary of the flower. Because there is actually only one seed inside each pit, only one tree will germinate. Peaches, cherries, plums and coconuts (although, they are slightly modified versions), coffee, jujubes, mangoes, olives, and apricots are all examples of stone fruits or drupes.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

RE: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

I have a large Rainier cherry tree in my new yard and and I have a lot of ants on and around the base of the tree. What is the best way to get rid of the ants without harming the fruit? Should the tree be sprayed? Also, there are a lot of flowers growing under the tree and I would like to keep them there. (05/05/2008)

By Debbie from Rathdrum, ID

RE: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

Must you crack the open the pit to get to the seed? Can you expose the pit (with seed inside) to cold and then plant as it is (without cracking it open)? BJ Bowman (06/29/2008)

By BJ Bowman.

RE:natural pest control.

I have a Montmemorancy Cherry tree that I planted the other year. I lost the fruit this year to bugs or birds, it was hard to tell, but something ate them. Could you tell me if there is a natural pest control that will not harm the environment or me when I eat the cherries? I do not like poisons in my yard, but I want to have cherries as well. Thanks! (08/09/2008)

By Robin

Archive: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

We have a Rainier cherry tree, and we would like to get fruit, what steps must we take?

By Richnkay from Paris, IL

RE: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

Some cherries need another tree for cross pollination. You might want to check if this is one. (05/09/2009)

By susanmajp

RE: Growing a Rainier Cherry Tree

We have a Rainier cherry tree in the back yard and we have seen bumper crops the past couple of years. What's the difference you ask from past years? My wife has planted a bunch of lavender plants in the back yard. The bees love the lavender bushes are are pollinating the fruit trees at the same time.

Also, I read in a post below about an ant issue. We have the same issue. Our problem is the birds eat the cherries, but leave 1/2 eaten cherries still in the tree. The ants love these broken into cherries and are after the sweets. I have found dish soap and water mixture will kill the ants and not harm the tree at all. Works great with grape vines too. Give it a try.

Chuck (06/09/2009)

By Chuck_B