Buy Extra Turkeys During Holiday Sales

Save time and money with turkey. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas, turkeys are on sale so buy an extra 20 lb. one at each holiday and freeze it. Big turkeys have a larger ratio of meat to bone than small ones.

Roast the turkey, remove meat from bones, and freeze the meat in small plastic bags for later use. When the meat has been removed, boil the bones and skin for a while with the drippings, then strain off the broth. For lower fat content, cool the broth in the refrigerator to harden the fat first so it can be skimmed off.

Freeze it in bags for use in soups, gravy, sandwich meat, bread stuffing, etc. Turkey meals can be made easily as the meat is pre-cooked. I have found turkey for .79/lb. at holiday time, so using turkey can save money on your meat bill.

By halstein from Valley City, ND

November 9, 2010 Flag

I buy whole turkeys when they are cheap. I cook the turkey the first time like a Thanksgiving dinner. What is left I use for:

• Turkey stir-fry
  • Ad
  • Turkey salad
  • Creamed Turkey over bread or biscuits
  • Turkey burritos or tacos
By Angie from WI

Answers:

Buy Sale Turkeys And Cook For Meat

I always make turkey stock out of the carcass after I have removed the best meat. I just throw in the skin, bones or anything that I don't want to eat with onion, celery and carrot. Use whatever spices you like, add water and simmer for 2 or more hours. Use in place of chicken broth. It can be stored in the freezer for months. (07/02/2008)

By jess

Buy Sale Turkeys and Cook for Meat

I always make a batch of turkey enchiladas, or tortilla soup with turkey. Now I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving :) (07/31/2008)

By Becky

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Frozen turkey in packaging.
Saving Money on a Turkey
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 9, 2010
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
A table full of items for sale at a garage sale.
Finding Garage Sales
Garage Sales
Shopping at Garage Sales
Shoppers at Holiday Clearance Sale
Shopping Holiday Clearance Sales
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 11, 2017 at 5:07:47 AM on 10.0.1.121 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.