Shopping Holiday Clearance Sales

Many great deals for next year's celebration can be found at after holiday clearance sales. This is a guide about shopping holiday clearance sales.

The Christmas season seems to stretch many people's budget even tighter than it is already stretched. I know that's true for my personal situation. One way that I have reduced holiday expenses and the cost of future holiday decorating is by learning to be more crafty, more frugal, and more creative with decorating. When choosing Christmas decorations I look for items that can be transitioned into upcoming holidays or seasons. I take advantage of after Christmas sales to get really good deals on items I can use in the upcoming year.

Red is a popular color during Christmas. It is also a color that is used for Valentine's Day and for numerous patriotic holiday decorations. By shopping with future holidays in mind, I can find tablecloths, napkins, paper plates, ribbons, baskets, serving trays, and many other red items that are on sale after Christmas. I always look for red stars and red hearts because they transition easily to other holidays. Stuffed animals, such as teddy bears and dogs that are frequently on sale after Christmas, can be used for Valentine decorations or gifts.

White, gold, and silver can be incorporated into various other holiday decorations. Christmas tree lights are always on sale after Christmas. These can be used in a variety of ways in the upcoming year. Simply placing mini lights inside of a glass jar gives you a quick, easy start on a beautiful tabletop display for any holiday.

One way to cut costs at New Year's is to purchase an assortment of prepackaged Christmas gift boxes such as meat and cheese gift sets, gourmet popcorn gift sets, holiday cookie and cracker packages, and various other food related gift sets at the after Christmas sales. I use these items to inexpensively create impressive looking snack trays for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

Seasonal sales and after holiday sales are ideal times to find items that I can use and reuse in a variety of ways to decorate for various holidays. Living on a small budget requires that holiday decorations and celebrations be kept simple. Smart shopping and creative decorating keeps each holiday celebration affordable, enjoyable, and memorable.

By VeronicaHB from Asheboro, NC

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Always shop in clearance sections a month after a holiday for the next year's holiday. For example it's May and Easter stuff is really cheap, usually 70% to 90% off. I do this for most holidays.

By Carol from Massachusetts

This is a guide about shopping after-Christmas sales. Shopping after Christmas is incredibly chaotic but it can be worth the savings. You can find great deals on Christmas items as well as items you can use for future gifts.

A woman pushing a cart of presents.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you shop after Seasonal Holidays like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. you can save at least 50-75%, if you are lucky some stores even offer up to 90% off.

I went to Walmart for some essentials today and they had an entire aisle dedicated for Mother's Day clearance. I was very surprised to see Walmart was still offering Mother's Day items on clearance. When I shop clearance, especially after seasonal holidays, I look for universal items that can be used for multiple occasions. For instance, I picked up these two beautiful glass vases that will be universal throughout the year for just $1 each, originally $4.

Left Vase says: BeYouTiful and this vase can be universal for any occasion, just because, during Valentine's Day, Birthday, Anniversary, Christmas.

Right Vase says: Love you Mom with assorted hearts: Again, this does not have to be for Mother's Day only, you can use this vase during Valentine's Day, Birthday, Anniversary, or just because.

Even though seasonal holidays may be geared toward a specific holiday, you can look for items that are universal and fit for more than just one occasion.