Shopping Clearance Sections

If you have the time and are willing to shop the clearance sections in stores or online, you can find some great bargains. Shopping at the end of a season can lead to great buys for next year's clothing or holiday decorating, and more.

The spring and summer may seem too early for some to think about Christmas, but if you do a little on-line shopping at any major stores, including ones like LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and Kohls and click on "clearance", you'll find incredible deals on sweaters, down vests, winter hats, etc. Quality items will go for 50-75% off of what you would pay in November or December.

Even if you only bought one item a month, beginning with this month of May, you could buy for 8 people on your list by December 1st and not feel slammed with buying all of your gifts in the just a month or two!

Source: I came up with this idea myself while shopping online for my dad's birthday gift.

By Patricia Mabel from Maple Falls, WA

Whenever I shop, whether it be the grocery store, the drugstore or any store, I always pass through the clearance aisle and take a quick look. I have saved many dollars by making this detour through the store.

For example, last week I stopped at Walgreens to get some Calcium tablets. I cruised by the clearance shelf where my husband had found a pair of Foster Grant reading glasses a few months ago for $2.00. There I found a bottle of calcium tablets that were originally 14.95 on clearance for $5.00. Then I looked on the top shelf and found four large cans of coffee for $1.99 each.

Sometimes I don't find anything, but it only takes a couple minutes to look. And then other times, I hit the Jackpot!

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

Most stores have reduced, marked down item bins. Always go there first when shopping early in the morning. You get the best of the bargains.

At a Supermarket, I found 2 boxes of Kleenex which had been reduced, because someone had cut the boxes with a box cutter while stocking shelves. These were marked down to 50 cents each for a total of $1. They would have cost $2.78 at $1.39 each

By Gladys H.

A thrifty way to shop is to check out the clearance and final sale section. Some items are still in decent shape with minor flaws that could easily be fixed with a simple DIY.

For instances at Tj Maxx (one of the largest clothing retailers in the United States with affordable brand names at discounted prices) marks their clearance with red tags. The final sale (lowest price) are with yellow tags. Even with clearance/final sale, you have 30 days for an exchange or full refund.

I stopped by Tj Maxx with nothing in mind to purchase but I ended up scoring awesome finds!

• Wedding Cards for $1.50. These are not your ordinary Dollar Tree cards either. They are 3D, nicely embossed, gems.

• Future Mrs Headband that retails for $15, for only $.70 cents. The extremely minor flaw is the paint is chipped on the S, but it is not noticeable and could be repainted if needed.

• Oleg Cassini "Bride" Decorative Crystal Glitter Diamond Paperweight for just $2. Originally looks like it was $5, but online this is being sold on Amazon/eBay for $15-20!
All these purchases come in handy because I am attending a couple of weddings next month.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My husband haunts the bargain bins at Radio Shack and Staples/Office Depot, and finds lots of good deals.

This is a page about shopping holiday clearance sales. Many great deals for next year's celebration can be found at after holiday clearance sales.

Shoppers at Holiday Clearance Sale

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I read about shopping when clothes and other items are on clearance, but when is the best time to shop summer clearance? Winter clearance? I just bought a new home and our budget is tight, so any where I can save money, I'll try. Please post your tried and true ideas.

Regina

Answers:

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Now is the time, if you are looking for furniture, this is the time of year the furniture stores clear out merchandise on the floor to make room for new items. Also, consignment furniture stores are wonderful. As they say, don't judge a book by its cover. Any upholstery item can be reupholstered for an updated look. (07/01/2005)

By Marn

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Not long after a new season, the sales start up. You can even ask a store when their sales start up.
Just about the time the 4th of July is here and you need a pair of shorts, it's a good time. They are already putting school supplies out by then. A good time for furniture is in the fall. Lazy Boy chairs go on sale (2 for 1) every November. Fabric at Wall Mart goes on sale in February. January is always White Sales and Rubber Maid. I always ask a department manager if I'm not sure, because sometimes it's different from what I predicted. (07/01/2005)

By Ardis

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

I shop clearance to save on my 2 boys' clothes. I shop for winter during the 3rd or 4th wk of January and summer around the middle of July, give or take a week. I have gotten over $150 worth of clothes for around $30 on my best trip! My three favorite words are clearance, close-out, and free. (07/02/2005)

By Julie

The Best Time To Shop Clearance Sales

Here in the Midwest, the summer stock is needed gone for room for fall and winter merchandise beginning July 4. The winter is needed gone around President's Day. (12/11/2010)

By Betty

I always search the clearance racks all year round. This is great when you buy sweaters (for fall/school) in May and June. Never pay full price for kids school clothes. Always search on line sites too. Try different stores on-line and go directly to their clearance page. Type in "codes" in your search engine for free mailing codes.

By Lisa from WNY

Answers:

Check Clearance Racks Year Round

I totally agree. Always make time for clearance. I blogged about this the other day. I got all my Halloween candy for $8.00 on the Walgreens clearance aisle. I just got American Girl books at Target the other night that had been 7.00 for 1.56!

As for shipping and discount codes on-line you can use naughtycodes.com and couponcabin.com Sometimes I also have free shipping information on my blog too.
http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/ (10/02/2008)

By Savings Assistant

Check Clearance Racks Year Round

I shop clearance racks/shelves all year for birthday and Christmas gifts. Currently I have 2 large under-the-bed containers filled with 'future' gifts. it's July and I would wager a guess that I have half my Christmas shopping done. Enjoy! (07/14/2009)

By Geri Garnet Unrue

Check Clearance Racks Year Round

Remember that clearance racks are usually placed in the back of the store - so look for them! (or look for sales or clearance signs on racks) Also you get the best buys on clothes that are out of season. So there are good buys on cold weather clothes when it's hot outside! (07/14/2009)

By pam munro

Check Clearance Racks Year Round

Yes your right! My wife and I have found some great sales for our kids and ourselves by buying off season clothing. Because of the economy the store are doing just about anything to keep business. (07/14/2009)

By dan ward

Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersNovember 14, 2019
🍂
🎄