Saving Rescued or Clearance Plants

Rescued or clearance plants are easy to come by at your local big box stores, nursery, and sometimes from neighbors. If you can identify it, read up on growing requirements, otherwise use your best judgement and some TLC. Several accounts of successful clearance plant revivals follow.

I rescued this plant from someone who was going to "trash it" after its first blooming. The plant was almost dead when I got it last year. I'm always trying to save things that other people have given up on or abandoned. After a summer of good care, this is the reward I got this fall. The best garden tip I have for anyone is always hope for the best outcome when planting or trying to save a sad-looking plant or flower.

Often at Lowe's and Walmart, where their garden center is located, there are flowers/plants that have gotten a little worn to where they are dry, brown, and brittle. Often all these little lovelies need is water and nutrients. I often check for clearance plants and flowers.

This trip I found some potato vines that needed a home!

The employee as Lowe's was going to throw them away. I asked for and got a tray of them for 80 cents. They were 10 cents each. Because I keep Sta-Green vegetable/flower soil on hand (Lowe's brand), I knew I could bring them more life! The last picture shows how my potato vine has doubled in size after 3 weeks.

Source: Lowes

I am always on the market for more beautiful plants and flowers. At my local Lowe's home improvement store, they have racks of reduced plants and flowers for only $1, $3, $5!

Depending on the plants/flowers - they may look a little sad, but they just need some love. Some are overgrown or overwatered, but with proper care they will grow again!

I have bought several for my yard and they turned out beautifully. This helps me save money and for these plants to not go toward the trash.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
I purchased (2) sad 2 gallon hybrid tea shrub roses from Lowes for 50% off - originally $24.98 now $12.49 each.

In just 2 weeks, the sad roses bloomed beautifully! All I had to do was give the roses some love. I cleaned the dead leaves off, trimmed some branches and watered every 2-3 days. Unfortunately, I forgotten to take a before picture condition I bought the roses, but look at the roses now - in the end I was able to purchase two rose shrubs for the price of one!

Photo Location
My backyard

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 13, 2020
🍀
💘

Generated 2020-01-14 23:05:13 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️