Saving Money on Garden Plants

Category Helpful Hints
There are many ways to save when filling your garden with plants. This page is about saving money on garden plants.

A Tightwad Grows Flowers

Someone said I was so tight, I squeaked when I walked. So tight, I squeezed a nickel til the buffalo bellowed. Say what they will, when it comes to buying flowers, being miserly certainly has it's advantages.

I have an insatiable appetite for plants. There is no way I could have all the plants I wanted if I had to pay full price. Paying mark down prices allows me to indulge myself without feeling guilty (well, at least somewhat).

I do buy plants sometimes without any idea where I will put them. I don't necessarily think this is a bad Idea. It helps get the creative juice flowing. Here's a good example.

I bought 2 false hollies (Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Goshiki'). $7.00 plants for $.70 each. I couldn't resist. Had I known what they were like, I would have bought all they had.

I have been looking for a low growing evergreen shrub for years, one requiring little maintenance. I wanted a row of them to offset the upper end of my property from a busy street.

When I brought the hollies home, I read up on them. I found out they were the perfect plant for my 'hedge row'. I'll need about 30 of them. So I will be on the lookout for more at reduced prices.

I have never grown phlox, though I like them very much. I bought a pot for pennies on the dollar. This particular phlox is new and one of a series called 'Flame'. Of the four colors available, mine is purple.

Phlox provide a beautiful display in the hottest of mid summer when the heat plays havoc with many other flowers. They are as reliable as sunrise, coming back year after year, and add an old fashioned note to the garden.

The $8.00 pot was a steal for $2.00, especially when you consider there were 3 plants in the pot. I always make it a point to notice how many plants are in a pot.

The Flame phlox is one of the paniculata type, meaning the flowers are arranged in panicles, and panicles, put in simple terms refers to a large flower being made up of many smaller ones.

The Phlox paniculata are tall flowers. However, the Flame series is a naturally dwarf plant. Big flowers, small plant. What more could you want.

I couldn't wait to get a picture of a single bloom for my files. When the panicle is fully opened with many flowers, I will post another picture.

So, the 3 pots pictured below, have a total retail value of $24.00. I got them all for $2.00. Yes! This is what you call fun, ThriftyFun. My tip? Don't wait for a plant bargain to happen by. Be on the lookout. And where will you put that bargain plant? You'll find a place, even if it's in the hands of a friend.

Now, where to put my phlox? I don't know. No worry. These babies will be making a bold statement at my place for years to come. No need to rush into decisions of this type.

Plants and shrubs for the garden seem to get more expensive every year. I use a little trick when I plant new items. Some plants that are bound together in pots can be separated and you can get two or sometime three plants from one pot.

Save Money on Plants

I searched around the garden area of my local big box store and found a shelf of underachievers for very little money. I took them home and nursed them back to health for way less than if I had bought the premium plants.

Given to buying flowering plants on impulse and not getting them into the ground before they die, I have made myself promise to get plants into the ground the day I buy them. This may mean I'm gardening under a halogen lamp, but less dead plants!

Does anyone know where to get free flower bulbs? I live in Chumuckla Florida.

Answers

Best Answer

You can advertise on Freecycle , Craig's list , Facebook. There are people that are changing there landscape and getting rid of there current look. A lot of businesses who hire landscapers to switch out bulbs for new plantings.

This is a good time to ask for the bulbs they dig up. You would be surprise how much is thrown away at condos' apartments , and residential /companies etc, just ask and they will let you have them.

Best Answer

Most likely getting free bulbs will depend on what type of area you live in - a lot of gardens/flowers - you may have some luck.
Also, depending on whether you have transportation available to pick up whatever someone offers and how far you will travel to pick them up.

There are people who will 'barter' and exchange one type of flower for something you may have in exchange.
If you have cuttings available to barter then occasionally someone may be willing to deliver and exchange.

You can place several ads on Freecycle and Craigslist asking for bulbs but you may need to specify what type of bulb unless you just want anything available.

If you have something to exchange you place that in another ad and hopefully someone will be looking for free flowers to exchange.

If you attend church then you should ask if you can post a small note somewhere in the church asking for free bulbs.
You can also walk around your neighborhood and if you see what you are looking for then pay a visit and ask for any extras they may have.

You can also check your stores to see when they mark down their bulbs as these are usually a good buy but need to be planted right away.

Best Answer

I have found you a website that offer free flower bulbs to help stop global warming and also to promote bees in certain areas. Here is the link to the site. It is easy to do and you choose what you want and they ask you to like their FB page I believe. Check them out this might be what you are looking for. www.freeflowerbulbs.com/

Best Answer

I like to share my bulbs and cuttings with friends and we are always looking for other people who would like to exchange cuttings.

We were excited when we found this site:

www.freeflowerbulbs.com/

I checked the site and found that it is a foreign company and they are asking for a LOT of personal information so I checked it out with my security protection company and this was their response.

" UNSAFE
Safe Browsing status for Freeflowerbulbs.com is Unsafe.
While this site is currently listed as suspicious, visiting it may harm your computer."

Also, if you check their Facebook link you will find that no one actually says they have ever received anything from this company but numerous people say they never received anything.

I wish it was a good site to receive free bulbs but I decided it was too risky for me.

I did find a site that has some names to check out but I have not looked into any of these companies.

thekrazycouponlady.com/.../replenish-garden-free-seeds-trees

Rescued or clearance plants are easy to come by at your local big box stores, nursery, and sometimes from neighbors. If you can identify it, read up on growing requirements, otherwise use your best judgement and some TLC. Several accounts of successful clearance plant revivals follow.

Clearance Plants

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsApril 25, 2013
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Garden-Plants.html