Organizing and Storing Tiny Lego Pieces

My 7 year old son is very big into Legos, the Harry Potter, Atlantis, and other sets with thousands of tiny pieces. I need a way to organize and store them so he can easily find the pieces he is looking for without dumping them all over the floor. Any suggestions?

By Mary Jo

Consider using a plastic tackle box, the kind for fishing tackle. I have one in pink and one in purple and use them for crafts and storing hair accessories.

We have many large sets of Legos, too. We have them in a *large* storage bin. I tried keeping different sets separated in gallon size Ziplock bags, but my daughter was dumping them out and mixing them up. If your son won't do what my daughter did, you could do a big bin with sets divided into labeled Ziplocks, or maybe with smaller plastic storage containers inside the larger one.

Hobby Lobby or your local craft store sell containers with separate compartments for jewelry making. They make them in a carrying case or standard. We did this for our son and it worked great.

Hope this helps.

Thank you to everyone for your help. We really appreciate it. We got a tackle box for the small pieces and a different box for the large ones.

My son was also a Lego collector, we used small plastic totes to separate by color. He had several tackle boxes that he kept his special pieces in. They have dividers that can be adjusted to the size compartment he needed for the particular pieces. The totes and tackle boxes were stack-able as well and that made me happy because it was easy to keep his room clean and clutter free when he wasn't "creating". Hope this helps. Did I mention that he had over 5000 pieces!

Close-up of Legos
Organizing Legos
Organizing AdviceJune 3, 2011
LEGO Indiana Jones, homemade costume.
Making a LEGO Costume
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Tiny Bow
Making a Tiny Bow
Lego Table
Making a Lego Table