Removing Rust Stains from a Linoleum Flooring

When metal has rusted on this material, it can be difficult to remove. This guide is about removing rust stains from linoleum flooring.

February 14, 2011 Flag

Apply full strength distilled white vinegar directly to tough linoleum stains. Leave it on 10-15 minutes before wiping up. If that doesn't work, apply it again and sprinkle baking soda over the vinegar. Scrub with brush or sponge. Rinse with clean water.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Whenever you mix baking soda with vinegar, you get nothing but salt water. One or the other by itself might clean, but if you use them together, you might just as well use plain water. I will take your word on it that vinegar will remove a stain (and it very well might, being a mild acid), but if you wish to use baking soda, don't use it with the vinegar. Baking soda by itself is a mild base, and also will clean. Separately - they work. Together - they do nothing.

November 18, 2009 Flag

I have an old linoleum floor in my basement and there's a pretty big rust stain on the floor. What could I use to remove it? I've already tried a few products that are supposed to remove rust, but had no luck. Any ideas? I can't afford to replace the floor.

By Karen from Warren, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try 'Whink' (in a brown bottle at Wal-Mart/most grocery stores, in the section with cleansers, i.e. Comet). Try it on a small area to check for damage to linoleum before using on the large area. I have not found anything it will not take rust from, even clothing. Can just see it disapear as applied. Mop your floor as usual after the rust has gone.

If there is wax on the floor, be certain to remove it, before attempting to remove the rust...The wax will prevent you from being able to remove the rust, if the rust is under the wax!

Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsMay 12, 2013
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Bathroom with vinyl flooring.
Removing Stains on Vinyl and Linoleum Flooring