Carnival-Style Lemonade

How do you make the same lemonade you get at fairs and carnivals? They use real lemons, sugar, and I don't know what else but it is delicious. Does anyone know?

Hi! The lemonade you are talking about is called "lemon shake-ups". I love them too and I always head straight to the 1st vendor I see! They are REALLY simple to make. 3 ingrediants: Real Lemons, Sugar, Water. I cut the lemon in half and squeeze into a glass and then I just drop the lemon half into my glass,minus the seeds of coarse. Add a few spoonfulls of sugar and add ice water, then stir and give it a taste, you may need to add sugar or more lemon juice.....YUMMMM!

If you would like to make more than 1 glass, take 3 to 4 lemons, cut in half and squeeze with lemon juicer. Then add enough water to make 1 1/2 to 2 quarts, add about 1 cup of sugar (or to taste), add ice and yummy.

Real lemonade is very pale---I wouldn't be surprised if they added a tiny bit of yellow food coloring. It's amazing how we have come to "expect" things to look or taste modern instead of "real."

I met a lady and her daughter this summer who were selling lemonade at a farmer's market. The money was putting the daughter through college. They got $3.00 for an 8-oz. glass! They squeezed the half lemon into the cup, then added a plain sugar syrup that they kept in a cooler with a spigot at the bottom. They added a sprig of mint for decoration. My guess would be that it is a light syrup of about 1 part sugar to 3 parts water, cooked long enough to dissolve the sugar and then chilled. Let me know if you try this.

Have you ever drank an Arnold Palmer? It is a lemon shake-up made with sweetened ice tea. It puts new meaning to a good shake up.

You need to make a simple syrup. I use 3 cups sugar & 3 cups water. In medium saucepan stir & dissolve over med. heat using a wooden spoon.When sugar is dissolved and coats wooden spoon, remove from heat & let cool. Store in a bottle in the refrigerator. For one large glass, fill with ice and 1 1/2 squeezed lemons. Add simple syrup about 1/2 way, fill rest of glass with water. Stir. This makes a sweet lemonade so adjust syrup accordingly. We live in Tennessee so we like sweet lemonade & sweet tea. Enjoy!

I'll bet their secret ingredient is the fun atmosphere of being at the Fair!

A pitcher of lemonade with a glass and some whole lemons.
Homemade Lemonade Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Beverages FruitNovember 1, 2007
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade
Spiked Watermelon Lemonade Recipes
Lemonade cups on a table for serving to a large group.
Serving Lemonade to a Large Crowd
🎉
🎄