Reviews of Temperpedic Mattresses

Does anyone have any experience with sleeping on a Temperpedic mattress? We've been thinking of buying one because my husband's back is so bad. We've "tested" them in stores and they are unbelievably comfortable. My slight back pain felt was relieved even during the short test run in the store, which, of course was not a long time lying on the bed.

We'd appreciate any opinion and/or feedback from anyone!

Also, if you know where you can buy them discounted or other places we can look for them (maybe on line), we'd appreciate any and all help. They're very expensive, I know that much.

Thank you.

By metroplex from Houston, TX

My husband and I bought a Temperpedic bed not too long after we got married. I think we've had it nearly 5 years and it really is wonderful for his back. I'm happy sleeping just about anywhere and I've been lucky to have very little back troubles. It took about a week of sleeping on the new bed for my husband's back pain to subside, but it did get a little bit better every day.

One thing I will say, and living in Houston you may never encounter this to the extreme like we do in Cleveland, is that the mattress is rock hard when you first climb in during the winter and it feels super cold for a few minutes. We discovered this year that if we keep a humidifier running in the bedroom the mattress feels warmer and is a million times softer.

We saved forever to buy the bed, knowing it would be worth the money. They are extremely pricey and at the time we bought ours (this may have changed) they never went on sale. One thing we did that we regret was buy the Temperpedic box spring. As I'm sure you know, these beds cannot be put on a traditional box spring and must be on a flat surface. We looked at options like putting plywood over top of our bed frame (which uses slats to hold up the mattress), or buying a platform bed but decided that in the long run it would be best just to buy the Temperpedic box spring. When we moved three years ago we could not get the box spring up the stairs and so we set about disassembling it to reassemble upstairs. When we opened it up we discovered that we had spend hundreds of dollars on....wooden slats that were far more spaced out than the ones already on our bed and a piece of cardboard. You have no idea how mad we were.

My advice: Buy the bed (and a humidifier) but skip the box spring; you can come up with something far cheaper yourself and save the dough.

My husband and I bought a memory-foam knock-off mattress and mattress-topper from Sam's Club, and have not regretted it at all. It does help your back pain, and now, I hate having to go somewhere where I don't have my memory-foam mattress. I don't think that you will regret this purchase. Blessings. Carole.

We have Walmart's version of the Temperpedic bed. We picked up our king size mattress at the store and saved on shipping. Read the reviews to get feedback. We love ours and are so happy that we could afford such a comfortable bed. I do recommend a waterproof mattress cover. Also, bought at Walmart.

I was so nervous about buying an item on-line without actually seeing it but we took the chance and we are glad we did. No regrets, just the most comfortable bed we ever had and we sleep so much better. The only drawback was that the mattress has an odor for about two weeks. Nothing that bothered us. Our son has a Temperpedic and said that it had the same issue. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Memory-Foam-Mattress/7695951

Good luck!

I bought one about 4 years ago and I love it!

I'm the lone voice of dissent - my husband and I purchased a Tempurpedic mattress in the late 1990s. We both began experiencing night sweats and found the mattress was encased in plastic, which we removed; that helped somewhat with that problem. But because it holds body heat, I don't make the bed in the mornings. I fold back all the covers, so it will air out. We bought it because of my back, but it didn't help much. Why lie on something that mashes flat as a flitter, regardless of whether or not it springs back when one is not lying on it! I think 'Emperor's New Clothes' every night. During the '09 ice storm, with no electricity/no heat in the house, it was like sleeping on a rock - could not warm it up with body heat at all. When finances afford, the Tempurpedic will be replaced with a Sealy Posturpedic which we have on guest beds. Everyone who sleeps on them really enjoys a good night's sleep. A less expensive brand might be a good fit for you, but the Tempurpedic does offer a return policy within a set amount of time. Too bad we didn't do that. Blessings!

We retired 4 months ago and bought a memory foam mattress from Sleep Science through Costco. The price was great, it was delivered and set up for us, and we love it! Both of us sleep better and wake more rested than before. You will probably need to buy new bedding as these mattresses are very thick. We're very happy with ours!

For those reading this and wondering about a sleep numbers bed, I know you are not asking about this but, I have extreme back pain from arthritis and a major spinal fusion (8 vertebrae) I tried a memory foam topper which didn't offer relief after about 3-4 weeks. I ended up buying a sleep better bed (http://www.sleepbetterstore.com/) and have never regretted it, I got the wool topper and a memory foam piece under it. It seems like a lot of money since it's only two air mattresses hooked up to a pump, but it's the convenience of being able to adjust it any time you need to that sold me. I Love it! So for those wondering about how these are this is my review on that. I even put it on my old foundation.

We recently bought a knock-off brand on ebay. A queensize was $400, post-paid. I have a bad shoulder and can now sleep on that side whereas I could not on a Sealy Posturpedic. They now have layers that help keep the bed cool, so getting too hot is not happening.

I'd go with the " Sleep Number Bed ". They were having some trouble with them a few years ago. They were not giving peoples $$ back because they were leaving dents in it.

I'd never give-up my Sleep Number Bed.

I know someone with a Temperpedic and someone with a Sleep Number bed. The person with the Temperpedic says it is like sleeping on a $2,000 slab. The people with the Sleep Number love their bed. I know I have seen advertising from places that will actually let you try a bed for 30 days. Good luck with whatever you choose!

My husband and I were seriously considering the Temperpedic but four years ago, they were definitely not in the budget. We went here instead:

http://www.bedinabox.com/

Read through this site and the customer reviews; in fact, give the company a call. These people actually answer their phones! We went with one of the lower-priced mattresses and it is still as comfortable, resilient and easy-care now as it was when it came ( quickly!) four years ago.

Also, it's gotten plenty of abuse. The DH and I are not tiny people, and our 80-pound dog wriggles up on there every night, too. Grandchildren continue to bounce on it and even our adult kids fight over who's going to stretch out on it when they're over for a visit. It was a fraction of the price of a Temperpedic and we can't say enough about the mattress and the customer service at this place.

Tempurpedic Mattresses Reviews
Consumer Advice General AdviceJuly 20, 2010
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
Up close photo of a pillow top mattress.
Cleaning Urine Stains from a Mattresses
Uses for Foam Mattresses
Uses for Foam Mattresses
🎄
🍂