Birds & Bird HousesGardening

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

I am looking for ideas for squirrel proof bird feeders.

By Debbie from NC

Yes! It is a big round concave shaped clear plastic disc that is mounted to the pole via a collar and 2 screws. I bought mine at Rural King in east central Mo.

I saw a very good squirrel proof feeder at my garden center last summer. It had a shroud that drop down to cover the seeds whenever a squirrel got on the feeder. They had a video of squirrels trying to get to the seeds. They coundn't figure it out. Very funny watching. I don't know the manufacturer .

The best squirrel proof feeder I've had is called the Squirrel Buster Plus, made by Brome. It comes with a cardinal ring for the bottom and they will eventually get used to it. The cardinals like a regular hopper or platform feeder better, but the Squirrel Buster is truly squirrel-proof and keeps the seed dry, too. Chickadees, titmice, and woodpeckers love it! I've tried a bunch over the years and this is the only one so far that really keeps the squirrels out. You can find it on-line for around $50-60 and I think it's worth it. Feeding the birds is so much fun, but I have to watch my expenses now, like so many of us, and this saves lots of seed from those squirrels. :-)

For several years I have added to my bird feeder about 1/4 cup cayenne pepper to 2 cups bird seed. I read it is annoying to rodents like squirrels but not to birds. Just beware the wind isn't blowing when adding pepper so it doesn't blow your way because it's very annoying to human eyes and breathing. It has worked for me!

For squirrel proof feeders you need to hang "cap" over the hanging feeder.

Usually this cap is wider than the feeder and of metal.

Does anyone know the best squirrel-proof bird feeder? I love squirrels as much as birds, but don't want them eating from the bird feeders in our yard.

By Nss from PA

Answers:

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

Short of running 10,000 volts through it, there's no such thing as a squirrel-proof feeder. Trust me, I've tried them all. The only one that comes close, and even then a couple of the squirrels figured out how to get around it, is the Droll Yankee Flipper. And it's a lot of fun to watch them get really mad as they get flung off the feeder!

I've pretty much just given in and figure they have to eat too. At best you can slow them down a little, but that's about it. (11/12/2009)

By knitter06040

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

No way! I've tried everything and saw an incredible show about how creative and smart squirrels are! They are "critter Houdinis"! Our local naturalist recommends taking "in" feeders at night, every night. They may forget about them. Then you could eventually put them back out. A cat can spook squirrels too, but they are their own set of issues with birds. (11/12/2009)

By AHA!

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

I did grease the pole that the one feeder was on and they couldn't climb it. It was hilarious to watch them try too, but they just found my other feeders! There's no stopping them.
(11/12/2009)

By AHA!

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

Google "Wild Birds Unlimited" and they have a feeder that I have and it works. The squirrel gets on the feeder and the weight of the squirrel closes the ports and he can't get the food. After a few times he learns he can't get the food. I have the feeder #3030 and it works. (11/13/2009)

By rasta