Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Accidently Frozen Apples

Don't throw away apples accidentally frozen with their skins on. I just recently had a bag of apples freeze when the fridge decided it needed a change. lol. I was determined not to waste them. I let them warm up just a little. By that, I mean, just about twenty minutes. I cored them and was amazed to discover I could peel them! Easily! Not pare them, peel them. It was so neat.

So I thought, hummm, what now? Well, I found the color of the pulp was just a shade darker and the flavor had increased a lot. The first ones I accidentally froze were Red Delicious, and in my opinion, they are not bakers or cookers, just eaters. I ended up with the best tasting apple pie ever, apple cobbler, dumplings and applesauce.

I didn't have to use as much brown sugar either! In fact, I created a recipe I intend to enter into a contest. Even if you have apples you think have seen their day, freeze them. Just because they are old you can freeze them and do something with them. Now, I don't mean soft, icky, throw away ones.

By Jacqueline Laura Young

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Jen (Guest Post)08/06/2008

Thank you! I had some frozen apples in the freezer and was wondering what to do!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.