Accidently Frozen Apples

Don't throw away apples accidentally frozen with their skins on. I just recently had a bag of apples freeze when the fridge decided it needed a change. lol. I was determined not to waste them. I let them warm up just a little. By that, I mean, just about twenty minutes. I cored them and was amazed to discover I could peel them! Easily! Not pare them, peel them. It was so neat.

So I thought, hummm, what now? Well, I found the color of the pulp was just a shade darker and the flavor had increased a lot. The first ones I accidentally froze were Red Delicious, and in my opinion, they are not bakers or cookers, just eaters. I ended up with the best tasting apple pie ever, apple cobbler, dumplings and applesauce.

I didn't have to use as much brown sugar either! In fact, I created a recipe I intend to enter into a contest. Even if you have apples you think have seen their day, freeze them. Just because they are old you can freeze them and do something with them. Now, I don't mean soft, icky, throw away ones.

By Jacqueline Laura Young

Thank you! I had some frozen apples in the freezer and was wondering what to do!

Comment

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesFebruary 28, 2005
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 1, 2016 at 3:00:53 PM on 10.0.2.27 in 842 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.