Accidently Frozen Apples

Don't throw away apples accidentally frozen with their skins on. I just recently had a bag of apples freeze when the fridge decided it needed a change. lol. I was determined not to waste them. I let them warm up just a little. By that, I mean, just about twenty minutes. I cored them and was amazed to discover I could peel them! Easily! Not pare them, peel them. It was so neat.

So I thought, hummm, what now? Well, I found the color of the pulp was just a shade darker and the flavor had increased a lot. The first ones I accidentally froze were Red Delicious, and in my opinion, they are not bakers or cookers, just eaters. I ended up with the best tasting apple pie ever, apple cobbler, dumplings and applesauce.

I didn't have to use as much brown sugar either! In fact, I created a recipe I intend to enter into a contest. Even if you have apples you think have seen their day, freeze them. Just because they are old you can freeze them and do something with them. Now, I don't mean soft, icky, throw away ones.

By Jacqueline Laura Young

By Jen (Guest Post) 08/06/2008

Thank you! I had some frozen apples in the freezer and was wondering what to do!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment