Rabbits Eating Flowers and Plants

How do we keep the rabbits from eating the bulbs I plant for next year's growth?

By Rox from Champaign, IL

Try putting hot pepper sauce all over the plants,critters do not like hot stuff,good luck.

To protect the bulbs I have planted from the critters in my area I went to the hardware store and bought some chicken wire. I laid it over the flower bed and put some heavy rocks on the wire border. The squirrels, chipmunks and other critters can't chew through the wire to get to the bulbs.

Thank you, that is a great idea.

Best Method Ever

All my friends and their parents use this method and not only do they have zero problems, but their plants are bigger and happier, too. First step -find someone with a pet rabbit. Go to rabbit.org for a state by state listing of rescue chapters. They would be happy to hook you up with someone in your city. Second - ask for a ziploc bag of poop. Don't worry, it does not smell. It's dry and crumbly and pellet shaped. Scatter these pellets around or through your veggie patch and voila, no more wild rabbits.

Why this works? Rabbits are very territorial and will fight to the death in many cases over land. Since domesticated rabbits are much larger than their wild cousins, a wild rabbit will see the poop (or smell it a long ways off) and give your plants a wide berth. The poop tells them a giant rabbit lives there and they will want nothing to do with your plants! Also, rabbit pellets make great fertilizer that will never, ever, burn your crops. It's a win-win situation.

I have a House Bunny who's litter box is just like a compost bin. He makes my yard happy and is the best companion I've ever had.

Wow, that is awesome info, thank you very much....I love to see the rabbits in our yard, but I do want it to stay pretty with flowers and shrubs and since my little dogs chase them the info on rabbits being territorial is very good to know.

Black and white rabbit eating grass.
Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening PlantingOctober 9, 2009
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
Pet Rabbits
Raising Pet Rabbits