Freeze Chopped Onions

What to do with all those bulk onions? I almost always buy my onions in the 3 lb. bags, but used to end up on the losing end when half of them went bad. I've found a solution to that!

I dice up all the onions that I'm not going to use right away and put 2/3 cup of the chopped onions into ziplock bags. These bags go into the freezer until the onions are needed. I make a lot of soups and gumbos so the slightly limp texture is fine, and the taste is the same as fresh.

This also works for celery and bell peppers!

By Ann B. from New Orleans, LA

Ann - I'm also from New Orleans. I take it an extra step and chop up my onions, celery, bell pepper and sausage and add a whole bayleaf. Put it in a ziplock bag and freeze. Doing this once a month or so, gives me a convenient packet to throw in Monday Red Beans with only one knife and cutting board to wash.

I too cut up extra onion to freeze. It's real handy to have it already diced to add to soups, casseroles, etc. Sometimes I thaw out ahead and other times I can throw in frozen and it doesn't matter.

I also cut up onions and green peppers and celery and freeze. I like Frazzled Leslie's idea of including the Sausage and Bay Leaf. Wonderful idea, Leslie!

When I freeze my chopped onions, I put them on a cookie sheet first and let them freeze before I put them in my bag or container. That way they will not clump together and you can take out whatever amount you would like. I do this with any thing I am going to freeze. Works everytime. Even hamburgers.

an onion before freezing
Freezing Onions
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 18, 2009
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions