Indoor Potted Plants Have an Odor

My clay pots indoors have an odor to them (don't know if it is the plant inside or the pot). I have not fertilized them yet. Thanks for any advice.

By Ruth from Point Comfort, TX

Clay pots are not very good for plant use. They dry out most plants. What you describe sounds like the soil got old and they need repotting. If you use your clay pots again you need to soak them in bleach water for a while and give them a good cleaning first. When clay pots of plants are purchased in our local stores, I have noticed that they have a plastic pot lining the plant. The clay pot is more of the docorative touch. I also noticed that even martha stewart uses the plastic pots inside some of her plantings with the clay pot holding the plastic pot inside it.

Even my aloe plant was not doing well in a clay pot. The tips of the leaves were dieing off. I had to repot in plastic. Now I have a very happy aloe plant. Happy gardening!

Sounds like it could be root rot. Gently take the plants out of the pot. If the roots smell they are rotting. Often due to overwatering. Probably cannot save plants with root rot. Good Luck

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsFebruary 14, 2010
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Potted Plant
Protecting Furniture from Potted Plants
Ant on a leaf.
Getting Rid of Ants in Outdoor Potted Plants
Photo of a potted plant.
Filler Ideas for Potted Plants