Pepto Bismol Stain On Carpet

In a stomach-flu daze I've accidentally spilled Pepto Bismol on my carpet. I've tried hydrogen peroxide (as they recommend on the Pepto website), Folex, Resolve, soap and warm water. Nothing seems to be helping! Has anyone figured out how to get this stuff out? Apparently it contains red dye #22 and #28. Thanks for your help!

I've used a carpet spray called Capture to get out kool aid my granddaughters spilled on our beige carpet. Get the aresol can it seems to work better or at leat at my house. It might take more than one spray but so far its the only thing I've found that removes red stuff. Their stuff for carpet cleaners works great too BTW.

Alas, we are also afflicted with a similar stain. Pepto dries like pink concrete! Sorry. Will be watching for some effective ideas.

My husband's grandmother spilled a whole bottle of Pepto Bismol on our light cream colored carpet. We got out what we could at the time but it still left a nasty stain. It is now 3 weeks later and I just found a product called Spot Shot. IT WORKED! You can't even see a hint of pink. It took 2 applications but it all came out. I got Spot Shot at a hardware store in Boulder called McGuckins. Great stuff!

I have light colored carpet and could not remove pepto bismol with hydrogen peroxide or spot shot, so I poured some table salt on the stain and then added a little lemon juice to make a solution. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and the stain is gone! I would not try this on darker carpets, but it was wonderful on my light carpet! I thought if hydrogen peroxide was ok, then why not salt and lemon juice which I have used for rust stains in white clothing. I just thought I would post this for anyone else that googles this problem. Hope this helps!

We spilled pepto on our light colored carpet. We blotted it with warm water and only lifted part of the stain. We had tried Spot Shot before, which we love, but ended up setting in the stain. We tried the lemon juice and salt mixture & it came right up! Woohoo! Thank you, vanlyn1!

I wonder if someone has a solution to getting dried on Pepto out of my couch? I had a bottle lying on the footrest of my Lazyboy couch & didn't realize the lid was not on tight! The couch has a pattern & is light colored, but the stain is not, so, noticable when the footrest is down! I tried to get it out when I discovered it, but couldn't! I'm not so sure these solutions would be ok to use on a couch! Has anyone tried it on furniture? Thanks

My nephew spilled a large amount of pepto bismol on my bedroom carpet with multiple long streaks of dark pink that will not budge with spot shot or hydrogen perioxide. Has anyone else tried using the previous solution mentioned (pouring salt on the pepto bismol stain then squeezing lemon juice on top of it). I didn't know if this is just for light stains left over. I have a light beige colored carpet and would like the get rid of all or at least most of the stain.

Has anyone else tried the salt and lemon juice mixture and had success? I have found nothing mentioned about that method on any other website. I have alot of Pepto Bismol spilled on my light beige carpet and neither spot shot nor hydrogen perioxide had much effect (except making the outer areas away from the stain look cleaner). I didn't know if salt and lemon juice was just for "light stains". My carpet stains are the rich pink color just like the bottle color and is a couple of long streaks. Also, someone mentioned on this page about using spot shot 3 weeks after a stain and got it out with no problems. I tried spot shot early the next morning after the night-time accident and the stains didn't budge.

I tried a cleaner that we got from the company that cleaned our carpets a while back, then tried Resolve twice, then tried hydrogen peroxide (many tries using a whole bottle). Finally I tried the salt and lemon juice (out of a bottle--not even fresh) and it worked very well. Not completely, but almost and certainly way better than any of the other attempts.

Woo! The salt and lemon worked! I had a light stain (small dog barfed up a dose - yes, Pepto is great for doggy tummy aches). I'd tried Simple Solution (enzyme pet stain remover) several weeks ago, with little luck removing the pink spot. Today, I tried an oxygenated laundry spot cleaner - very little change. Then, I went online and found this suggestion. The spot was still damp from my attempts to rinse out the oxygen cleaner. Not soggy, well blotted with a clean towel. I sprinkled on salt from a shaker, until it made a light coating over the entire stain.

I cut about a quarter of a lemon from one end of the fruit, then squeezed it slowly over the entire area, then turned the lemon chunk inside out and rubbed the flesh over the entire area to make sure nothing was missed. Within 10 minutes, the pink vanished. I used a wet towel to clean up the salt and lemon, blotted with another towel, and the spot is drying, nice and fluffy and clean! :)

Hi there,

I just want to inform you all that I tried the Lemon juice and salt today. This morning as I was planning to serve my daughter a dose of Pepto, I shook the bottle an it wasn't fully closed. As you can imagine the solution spread over her bedroom carpet as an artistic rendering of hot pink all over... and its a beige almost white carpet!

Searching on this site I decided to try the solution and voila! it worked, I let it sit for about 15 minutes and then used hot water with a bit of dishwasher soap to hand rinse and towel dry. Great tip, thanks for all the comments.

Salt and bottled lemon juice. Took 2 tries, and I used my carpet cleaner to rinse. Worked like a charm. Let sit for 30 minutes.

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetOctober 14, 2008
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
shoe polish
Removing Shoe Polish from Carpet
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet