Laundry Detergent Stain on Carpet

Category Carpet
The dyes in laundry detergent can stain your carpet. This is a guide about laundry detergent stain on carpet.

A bottle of blue detergent fell and poured out on my white rug. How can I get it out? Thank you!

By ABee from New Hope, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Rent a carpet cleaner (Rug Doctor, etc.) and run clear water through it. You may have to do this several times to get it all out. We actually use HE laundry detergent to clean our carpets, then rinse with vinegar water. It works better than the shampoos made for it and the vinegar takes out odors.

I went to move furniture and noticed a big blue spot of the carpet. It is laundry detergent and I'm not sure how long it has been there. What are your suggestions to get it removed? Thank you.

Answers

I would suggest scraping as much of the excess as possible out of the carpet with a plastic scraper. Then using a carpet cleaning machine, rinse, rinse, rinse and suck up the water with the machine. You can usually purchase anti-sudsing agent that works good for this. rinse and suck up the water until you are no longer getting suds. You may even have clean carpet when you are done!

I would use a damp white cloth to remoisten the stain to get as much excess out of carpet. This will prevent suds overload. After satiafied with the removal get your hands on a wet vac(shop vac) or carpet cleaner.
Use plain water to flush the detergent out of the carpet. When there are no more suds you cane. Switch to a vinegar water solution for a final rinse.

My son has poured Tide on the carpet. Could you please help me to get this off my carpet?

By nikhil from St. Louis, MO

I am looking for a solution for a carpet stain. This happened when a 2 year old poured 1/2 bottle of laundry detergent on the carpet (blue color). Please help.

Deb from Nashville, TN

Answers:

Laundry Detergent Stain on Carpet

I have rental property, and a tenant spilled a lot of liquid detergent on her carpet. After using plain water to remove the detergent (this took a number of tries), I let the spot dry. I then poured straight white vinegar on the spot, scrubbing it in, with a scrub brush, and then absorbing as much vinegar as I could, with old bath towels. The detergent spot disappeared! (01/13/2008)

By Sharon