Afghan Stitch Tips

I'm hoping someone can help with a crochet problem. I recently started an afghan using the afghan stitch. This is the first time I've tried the stitch and the piece I'm crocheting is rolling up. Is it supposed to do that? Any help will be appreciated.

Jayne from Bristow, VA

I learned this just this month. If you have a pattern that looks the same on both sides and you are working on a cylinder shape, you can turn it around and work your crochet across the "inside" of the piece.

Since you put the crochet hook through only half the loop (is that the way you are doing it?) it is going to roll. You might put fringe on the ends when you are done to help it lay flat. Another option would be to crochet a border all the way around it after it is done.

you may be pulling your stiches to tight

Mine also does that, especialy when I use a lightweight yarn. I have found that if you block the item by pinning it to a bed and steaming it lightly (Don't touch the iron to the afghan!) and allow it to dry thoroughly before unpinning it, the edge will usually stay straight. Since I almost always add fringe, I do this first so it is easier to work with. Good luck!

I would like to know if any one knows where i can buy the hooks & patterns for the afagan stitch i live in winsor pa. i can't find them any where, i used to do this stitch a lot, but some where along the line everything got misplaced.

Crafts CrochetJanuary 19, 2006
Knitted Afghan
Making a Knitted Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Making a Crochet Scrap Afghan
Crochet a Chain Stitch
How to Crochet a Chain Stitch
closeup of Afghan Hound
Afghan Hound Breed Information and Photos