Recycled Yarn Afghan

Category Afghans
Use leftover balls and yarn scraps to make a beautiful, functional, variegated crochet afghan. This page offers instructions for making a recycled yarn afghan.

I have made so many afghans for others I decided it was time to make one for me. With a linen stitch, it took me about 60 hours so I just worked on it when I was watching TV.

Chaining what I wanted for width, I made a single crochet in the first chain, chained 1, and skipped 1 chain and made another single crochet in the next chain across. Turn and chain 1 repeating this pattern for the entire project. I love variegated yarn so I stayed with that throughout.

This project doesn't have many photos of the stages, so I am just going to share it. I hope you are inspired to make a smaller version, pillow top, lapghan (3' by 4' to cover a lap), or even hot pads. This is my favorite stitch and who knows, it might be yours too!

Total Time: 60 hours

Yield: 1

• 1 size J hook ($0.00)
  • 10 yd variegated scraps of yarn for every 5' ($.40)
  • 1 scissors ($0.00)

1. For the standard row of 5' you will need 10 yards of yarn. Times that by the number of rows you decided to do and you will have a good estimate of the yarn you will need. For each 6" you will need 1 yard of yarn, so 2 yards for every foot, times 5 feet.
  2. Advertisement

3. I just started and didn't worry about it as it was all partially used balls of yarn and had I ran out (your laughter here) I would have just gotten more.
  4. I made the tails that tied the scraps together at least 6" long as I might work them back through the front from the back. Then with a darning needle, I might sew some larger buttons on the front randomly for a country look. If you have small children or nervous dogs I would not do that.
  5. Here is the finished product on my daybed. I only wanted it 5' long as I don't plan to put it over me and being 5' 2" it's perfect. N-JOY!!
  6. Advertisement

In These Pages
Crafts Crochet AfghansJune 20, 2019
😎
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recycled-Yarn-Afghan-1.html