Recycled Yarn Afghan

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts

Recycled Yarn Afghan - side view of day bed with afghanI have made so many afghans for others I decided it was time to make one for me. With a linen stitch, it took me about 60 hours so I just worked on it when I was watching TV.

Chaining what I wanted for width, I made a single crochet in the first chain, chained 1, and skipped 1 chain and made another single crochet in the next chain across. Turn and chain 1 repeating this pattern for the entire project. I love variegated yarn so I stayed with that throughout.

This project doesn't have many photos of the stages, so I am just going to share it. I hope you are inspired to make a smaller version, pillow top, lapghan (3' by 4' to cover a lap), or even hot pads. This is my favorite stitch and who knows, it might be yours too!

Total Time: 60 hours

Yield: 1

• 1 size J hook ($0.00)
  • 10 yd variegated scraps of yarn for every 5' ($.40)
  • 1 scissors ($0.00)
Recycled Yarn Afghan - closeup of colored of yarn

1. For the standard row of 5' you will need 10 yards of yarn. Times that by the number of rows you decided to do and you will have a good estimate of the yarn you will need. For each 6" you will need 1 yard of yarn, so 2 yards for every foot, times 5 feet.
  2. Advertisement

3. I just started and didn't worry about it as it was all partially used balls of yarn and had I ran out (your laughter here) I would have just gotten more.
  4. Recycled Yarn Afghan - closeup of pattern from wrong side with ends still loose

5. I made the tails that tied the scraps together at least 6" long as I might work them back through the front from the back. Then with a darning needle, I might sew some larger buttons on the front randomly for a country look. If you have small children or nervous dogs I would not do that.
  6. Here is the finished product on my daybed. I only wanted it 5' long as I don't plan to put it over me and being 5' 2" it's perfect. N-JOY!!
  7. Recycled Yarn Afghan - on day bed

In These Pages
Crafts Crochet AfghansJune 20, 2019
👔
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recycled-Yarn-Afghan-1.html