AfghansCrochet

Recycled Yarn Afghan

I have made so many afghans for others I decided it was time to make one for me. With a linen stitch, it took me about 60 hours so I just worked on it when I was watching TV.

Chaining what I wanted for width, I made a single crochet in the first chain, chained 1, and skipped 1 chain and made another single crochet in the next chain across. Turn and chain 1 repeating this pattern for the entire project. I love variegated yarn so I stayed with that throughout.

This project doesn't have many photos of the stages, so I am just going to share it. I hope you are inspired to make a smaller version, pillow top, lapghan (3' by 4' to cover a lap), or even hot pads. This is my favorite stitch and who knows, it might be yours too!

Total Time: 60 hours

Yield: 1

1. For the standard row of 5' you will need 10 yards of yarn. Times that by the number of rows you decided to do and you will have a good estimate of the yarn you will need. For each 6" you will need 1 yard of yarn, so 2 yards for every foot, times 5 feet.
  2. Ad

3. I just started and didn't worry about it as it was all partially used balls of yarn and had I ran out (your laughter here) I would have just gotten more.
  4. I made the tails that tied the scraps together at least 6" long as I might work them back through the front from the back. Then with a darning needle, I might sew some larger buttons on the front randomly for a country look. If you have small children or nervous dogs I would not do that.
  5. Ad

6. Here is the finished product on my daybed. I only wanted it 5' long as I don't plan to put it over me and being 5' 2" it's perfect. N-JOY!!

This is beautiful!
Hope you enjoy using it.
Betty

Thanks Betty. I will once the weather turns chilly again. For now, it's in my closet waiting to be needed. BTW here is an image of the hot pads I make in case anyone wants to make them.

Chain 24 which is 6", repeat the pattern from above and make 22 rows. Make another and sew together with the base row on one paired with the top row of the other. This keeps the project from being too wide at the bottom on both...this kind of evens them out.

Thanks Betty. I knew you would appreciate this one!

Beautiful work ! :)

Thanks! I never go anywhere without some kind of project to work on. This is by far my favorite stitch.