Making a Crochet Scrap Yarn Afghan

Category Afghans
Crocheting an afghan is a popular crochet project. This afghan is made from scrap yarn. This is a page about making a crochet scrap afghan.

If you are a true yarn lover like me and I believe you are you just can't bear to part with any of it, even scraps. But what do you do with 1/3 ball of green yarn, or 36" of a lovely red? Make a huge afghan! :)

This is a very easy pattern, very enjoyable to just sit while watching TV and crochet away. Sometimes I like to place certain complementing colors near eachother. Sometimes I just grab whatever is closest and go to town! Often times I pair everything with a large ball of black yarn to tie everything in together, it's up to you.

I have made a few of these so far and each one is unique, they remind me of stained glass windows. Plus, this will help work that stash down. Have fun making your own!

Total Time: 15 hours?

Yield: 1 large cozy blanket

Source: My stash was calling my name...

Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan

• "I" crochet hook
  • Tons of odds and ends yarn scraps and lonely partial skeins
  • Scissors
  • Embroidery needle for weaving for weaving in ends
Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan

1. Ch 5, join with a slip st in the first ch to make a ring.
  2. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  3. Ch 3, 2 dc, ch2 in ring.*3dc, ch2, 3 times. You will be joining this round with a slip st between the ch 3 and the dc, see?
  4. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  5. Ch 1, turn. Slip st in the space between the 2 groups of 3 dc, see?
  6. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  7. Ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in this same space.
  8. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  9. Repeat 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in each ch 2 corner space around, join with a slip st.
  10. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  11. I decided to change colors here, the more the merrier. So I ended off with the purple, turned my work, and added a rich teal. Simply join with a slip st in the space between 2 clusters. Ch 3, work 2 dc in same space.
  12. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  13. Work 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in next ch 2 space, 3 dc in next space, continue in same manner for entire round, join.
  14. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
    Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  15. Continue in the same pattern for each row, adding different colors as you run out or just when you feel like it.:)
  16. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  17. The blanket in the picture is 59 rounds.
  18. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  19. Quirky, fun, addictive.
  20. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan
  21. Enjoy!
  22. Crochet Stained Glass Scrap Afghan

I crochet afghans for a charity so I have lots of yarn on hand. I sometimes end up with short end pieces of yarn and use to throw them away. Now I save them, join them together and end up with my own variegated yarn.

No waste now for what I once considered throw aways. Most of my afghans are granny squares so it works great color-wise.

Crafts Crochet AfghansNovember 17, 2015
🎃