Crocheted Afghan Patterns

Category Patterns
There are many interesting patterns to follow when crocheting a blanket. This guide contains crocheted afghan patterns.

If you know how to crochet a basic granny square this afghan and matching pillow are very easy to make. After crocheting the pillow squares together with black yarn, I took a measurement of both panels. I used my sewing machine and made the inside case from white muslin, left one end open and stuffed it with polyester fiberfill, then sewed the end closed. Then I crocheted a fancy border around the pillow and left one wide end open so I could stuff in the pillow form. Then continued with the fancy border and finished off the pillow.

The afghan and pillow look very much like a stained glass window. Finished Afghan: 43 1/2 inches x 60 inches. Size-G hook

Source: My own design.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

The crocheted afghan will be donated to the V.V.A. (Vietnam Veterans of America) Scholarship Program for next year. At the present time I'm working on a second afghan for V.V.A.

Source:

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

I love to have thick, warm blankets in the winter, but they are often expensive. So what I did was to have a friend teach me to crochet. At first I could only pick up the single stitch and then learned more a little at a time.

I get most of my yarn in bulk at Wal-mart at Christmas time when they have the bins of huge yarns for sale. I also go to garage sales and find yarn, often by asking if they have any for sale. I make blankets all summer long and then I have winter blankets and I even give them as gifts to my family. They love them more than the store bought. Plus they will always have a handmade gift from the heart from me. By Veronica1 from Lodi, CA

About 15 years ago, I designed an afghan based on a design that my mom used to draw for me. It was three lines in four different directions, with oval lines that connected them. I know there is some kind of knot that is named for this, or the other way around, but I am not sure what it's called. I didn't want to make it rounded, as it was too hard to connect with the other squares. So, I made it square.

I entered it in a design afghan contest and got an Honorable Mention. It's easy to do and you can do them in any size you want.

Approximate Time: Each "L" shape was 20 inches so it took about 2.5 hours to do each one, plus joining.

Instructions:

For the center of each of the four designs, pick a color you like and chain 29. Now, you can choose to do this in a single yarn and your item will be smaller. This one was done with two strands and an N size hook. You can then turn and make a single crochet in each of the next 28 chain stitches. If you find that you have 29 at the end of the first row, simply undo the last single crochet. You need to have a number divisible by 4, so if you want something larger, you might start with 32 or 36, etc. This is the key to the entire pattern, so make sure your math is right on.

Turn, and make a single crochet back to the beginning, and repeat this 6 more times. This gives you 8 rows.

Turn, and do one single crochet in the next 7 (8 or 9, etc.), turn, and repeat till there are 8 rows. Then, add the second color, and make another 8 rows of the same width, but with the second color. You will see how this works soon.

Cut about 2 inches from hook. I like to pull one through and then you can tie them like you would a knot. This gives you kind of a "backwards L". Set aside.

With the other color, chain the original 28 plus 7 so it's now 35. This section will have to be divisible by 5, so 5 times 7 is 35; see how the pattern starts to make sense?

Crochet the same as you did before, making 8 rows on the longest part. Then, turn and make the narrow part, but this time, make 24 rows. This section will have to go past the first 8 rows of the previous part, then past the narrow 8 rows and make it's own 8 rows. Since it's the same color as the smaller end you made, you can now whip stitch them together when you are ready to sew them all at the same time.

Go back to the same first color, and this last part, crochet a chain of 42. This will be divisible by 6, so 6 times 7 is 42. Make your 8 rows of single crochets, then the narrow part will be 40 rows. When you are done, sew all the pieces together as shown in the photo. Then, attach your hook on the beginning of the 2nd color horizontal portion, as indicated in the arrow.

Continue on with the single crochet like you have been doing, and make your 8 rows, as if the finished work was a chain. This will give you the "L Block" for your first of four pieces.

For the pattern to work, you need to make another one just like this. Then, make two more using the opposite colors first and second that you did second and first on the other two. When they are all done, sew them together. To "fill in the square", I used a block of both colors to complement the design.

You can make them all the same two colors as I did, or mix and match. I know it looks complicated, but it's really not. If you wanted to try a smaller pattern, that might be good. Also, keep in mind this double yarn makes the afghan heavy. If you live in Minnesota, great. If you live in Arizona, not so much. N-JOY!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

I made this afghan up in just a couple of weeks choosing my own color combination. The main stitch used is double crochet (dc) and a multiple of ten chains between (dc) groups of ten.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

This sweet baby afghan is an easy to make variation on the granny ripple pattern. This page contains a granny ripple baby afghan pattern.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains crochet newborn baby afghan, hat, and booties patterns. If you crochet these are the perfect patterns for you to make up either for your child or to give as a gift.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I love getting easy crochet patterns, especially for afghans. Please submit any you would like to share.

Julie from NC

Answers

This is my favorite stitch. It is so easy I even do it in the dentist's chair.
Found at http://stashaho  dead-afghan.aspx

Stashaholic's Brain Dead Afghan
(c)Sherri Bondy

Size: Approx 36 x 48 in.

Materials: 18 oz worsted weight
crochet hook 5.5mm

Chain 156 (increase or decrease size by adding/subtracting multiple of 12 stitches )

Row 1: 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next ch, *skip 3 ch, 1 sc in next ch, ch 3, 1 dc in each of next 3 ch, rep from * to last 4 ch, skip 3 ch, 1 sc in last ch. TURN

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 2 dc in first sc, skip 3 dc, *(sc, ch 3, 3 dc in ch 3 space), skip next 3 dc, rep from * to last 3 dc. Skip 2 dc, sc in top of turning chain. TURN

Rep row 2 until afghan measures 48" .

Fasten off

Wow! This IS an easy pattern, and works up beautifully, Thanks so much- I'm going to try it on a scarflette!

Thanks for posting this. I thought I had seen and tried just about all afghan designs, but this one is new and the part about it being good for when I am watching tv and such and not having to count too many stitches or look up directions is great for me.

The internet has free patterns for the asking.

I would like to make my boyfriend a football afghan. But I can't seem to find any pattern but the granny square one. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Thank you,
Miss Woody from Indiana

Answers

Try http://www.citiusa.com

Hi Miss Woody, Please go to http://www.croc  tterncentral.com . They have it under afghan squares. Just a warning: You can spend hours getting super ideas there!

if you know how to do graph crochet patterns
check out cuddle up-creations.com The site has load of crocheted football afghans

This is a link I found with football team patterns but it is in graph style good luck I am doing one for my boyfriends boss for Christmas 2010. Angie

http://www.donn  ns_football.html

I am looking for a crochet afghan in an arrow head pattern I started one and never finished it now I cannot find the pattern. Can anyone help please!

Roxanne from Oelwein, IA

Answers

http://www.croc  read.php?t=16254

like this one? says it's from a Leisure Arts booklet on Mile-a -minute afghans

I just saw that on the Herrschners website. I have attempted to attach the pic. If you send them an email, maybe they will respond? I love that afghan. But now, I am trying to find beginner fast knit afghans as I am trying to teach myself to knit and tend not to be that patient. Thank you.

Just a few minutes ago I was admiring one call Arrowhead. I am attaching a pic. Maybe you can go to their (Herrschners) website and ask for a copy. All I see is the kit. I am looking for a beginner fast knit afghan pattern. I am attempting to teach myself to knit but I am not very patient. I need real easy with larger needles. Thanks

Several years ago I crochet an afghan, unfortunately I can't find a pattern for it now. It was made of individual strips, joined with a single crochet but each strip had a ruffle on it. Would anyone who does crocheting have this pattern or know where I can get it.

Thanks!
Wendy from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Answers

Plenty of free crochet afghan patters on line. I have used a couple of the patterns here: http://www.knit  chet/afghan.html
Best of luck!! JCP

oOOPS! FORGOT TO ADVISE: GO TO GOOGLE AND SEARCH FOR "FREE ONLINE CROCHET AFGHAN PATTERNS" YOU WILL GET MORE THAN YOU NEED.

LOL....

JCP

Try Lionbrand.com for patterns and links.

I am looking for a crocheted birdhouse afghan pattern. I don't want to order the kit because it doesn't give you a choice on colors of yarn to use. I really need the pattern if anyone can help me.

Thank you

Answers

MarySue, I am not sure what your specific birdhouse afghan looks like, but here's an idea. Crochet some plain blocks, then with a lighter weight yarn crochet squares or rectangles, decreasing to a point for the roof. Crochet little circles out of black thread or yarn. Sew these together, applique-style the birdhouses onto your squares. You can get creative & make several varieties of birdhouses this way. Also you could make the birdhouses out of fabric and sew them on, making your afghan look somewhat like a quilt. What a great afghan you're going to have, no matter what way you make it. Birdhouses are so homey & beautiful. Jayne.

You may already have the pattern, but if not you can find it under Annie's Attic (A year of afghans, book 13). The cost is $11.34 with shipping and handling.

Try etsy.com-you can post in alchemy section.

I'm looking for an crochet afghan pattern for my son who is an avid hunter. I've checked some of the free patterns sites, and I may just use a pattern with camo yarn. But I would love to have something with deer or other hunting related design. Thanks!

CarolinaGirl

Answers

Here's a google search for camo yarn:
http://www.goog  n%22&spell=1
Here's a google search for hunting afghans:
http://www.goog  hin%C2%A0results

I hope you can find something here. there are a lot of links to look through.
Good luck,
Tina

I made my younger adult son a pull-over hat out of camy yarn for Christmas & he just loved it!.... If I were you, I'd use "camo" yarn!... As for a deer blanket: You can buy a "panel" with a deer in the woods of fleece fabric & give that to him too! The camouflage pattern looks great bordered in black!

---> Another idea: You might want to make a "Navaho" type of crochet design. (There are many free paterns for these!) I know my adult sons love Native American blankets & many things native American.

* BTW: I bought my camouflage yarn at Walmart.

I have two patterns for afghans that you crochet one row at a time and cut your yarn and start another row to form a design. I would like to know if anyone has this type of crochet pattern or an old Annie's design.

I have a few afghans that are very plain and they need some fancying up. I have the idea to weave in yarn into the afghan. I have no desire to unravel the yarn and make a new one. Any suggestions on how to do this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

By Mindy from Terrebonne, OR

I am looking for the directions to a crocheted afghan pattern from the early 80s. It is titled Aran Isle and is made in blocks. The magazine page I have says Institute Needlework and Sewing Center. It was probably published in McCalls magazine. The picture is on page 154. The directions started on page 288 and continued on page 290 which I don't have.

By Carole from Ferndale, CA

I am trying to locate a pattern for a domino afghan that appeared in 1969 in the Pittsburg Post. I have included the link for the photograph of the afghan. (View Photo Here)

By Miss Missi from Gillette, WY

Answers

The pattern is from --A Bouquet of Bernat Afghans To Knit and Crochet in beautiful "Berella" Book 160.
I found a copy of it for sale here: http://www.bugg  chetafghans.html

I am looking for a pattern for a crochet birdhouse afghan and would like to know what site I can find this on?

By Marilyn

Has anyone ever made a crocheted afghan with bulky yarn? I am presently making one for my twin bed. As it gets larger it is heavy to work with, but I bet it will keep you very warm. I'm using many different stitches on it too. I am wondering if anyone else used different stitches on one.

By silentwriter from Central, PA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I made this afghan for my daughter for Christmas. It took about 3 weeks (all with love, of course). We live in Mattawa, WA and the winters are long. It's a great time to crochet.

By Sandra M.

Tulip Afghan

Comment Like this photo? 18

I just finished this crocheted afghan, my first, and was taking some pictures to share with friends and family. My two little ones decided that a picture without them wasn't worth taking. They've been so good about not sitting on the project while it was in the works, that they wanted to be a part of the celebration. What did Linus used to say about a warm puppy with a 'blankie'? Makes for great cuddle time on the couch!

Source: Crochet pattern from Bernat yarns

By Maile

Dogs standing on afghan blanket

Comment Like this photo? 6