Crocheted Afghan Patterns

Category Patterns
There are many interesting patterns to follow when crocheting a blanket. This guide contains crocheted afghan patterns.

If you know how to crochet a basic granny square this afghan and matching pillow are very easy to make. After crocheting the pillow squares together with black yarn, I took a measurement of both panels. I used my sewing machine and made the inside case from white muslin, left one end open and stuffed it with polyester fiberfill, then sewed the end closed. Then I crocheted a fancy border around the pillow and left one wide end open so I could stuff in the pillow form. Then continued with the fancy border and finished off the pillow.

The afghan and pillow look very much like a stained glass window. Finished Afghan: 43 1/2 inches x 60 inches. Size-G hook

Source: My own design.

By Marjorie from Lewiston, NY

The crocheted afghan will be donated to the V.V.A. (Vietnam Veterans of America) Scholarship Program for next year. At the present time I'm working on a second afghan for V.V.A.

Source:

By Marjorie from Lewiston, NY

I love to have thick, warm blankets in the winter, but they are often expensive. So what I did was to have a friend teach me to crochet. At first I could only pick up the single stitch and then learned more a little at a time.

I get most of my yarn in bulk at Wal-mart at Christmas time when they have the bins of huge yarns for sale. I also go to garage sales and find yarn, often by asking if they have any for sale. I make blankets all summer long and then I have winter blankets and I even give them as gifts to my family. They love them more than the store bought. Plus they will always have a handmade gift from the heart from me. By Veronica1 from Lodi, CA

About 15 years ago, I designed an afghan based on a design that my mom used to draw for me. It was three lines in four different directions, with oval lines that connected them.

I made this afghan up in just a couple of weeks choosing my own color combination. The main stitch used is double crochet (dc) and a multiple of ten chains between (dc) groups of ten.

This sweet baby afghan is an easy to make variation on the granny ripple pattern. This page contains a granny ripple baby afghan pattern.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains crochet newborn baby afghan, hat, and booties patterns. If you crochet these are the perfect patterns for you to make up either for your child or to give as a gift.

I love getting easy crochet patterns, especially for afghans. Please submit any you would like to share.

Julie from NC

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)

This is my favorite stitch. It is so easy I even do it in the dentist's chair.
Found at http://stashaho  dead-afghan.aspx

Stashaholic's Brain Dead Afghan
(c)Sherri Bondy

Size: Approx 36 x 48 in.

Materials: 18 oz worsted weight
crochet hook 5.5mm

Chain 156 (increase or decrease size by adding/subtracting multiple of 12 stitches )

Row 1: 1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in next ch, *skip 3 ch, 1 sc in next ch, ch 3, 1 dc in each of next 3 ch, rep from * to last 4 ch, skip 3 ch, 1 sc in last ch. TURN

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as 1 dc), 2 dc in first sc, skip 3 dc, *(sc, ch 3, 3 dc in ch 3 space), skip next 3 dc, rep from * to last 3 dc. Skip 2 dc, sc in top of turning chain. TURN

Rep row 2 until afghan measures 48" .

Fasten off

Wow! This IS an easy pattern, and works up beautifully, Thanks so much- I'm going to try it on a scarflette!

Thanks for posting this. I thought I had seen and tried just about all afghan designs, but this one is new and the part about it being good for when I am watching tv and such and not having to count too many stitches or look up directions is great for me.

I would like to make my boyfriend a football afghan. But I can't seem to find any pattern but the granny square one. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Thank you,
Miss Woody from Indiana

Answers

By kathy (Guest Post)

Try http://www.citiusa.com

By Tedebear (Guest Post)

Hi Miss Woody, Please go to http://www.croc  tterncentral.com . They have it under afghan squares. Just a warning: You can spend hours getting super ideas there!

By iona alford (Guest Post)

if you know how to do graph crochet patterns
check out cuddle up-creations.com The site has load of crocheted football afghans

I am looking for a crochet afghan in an arrow head pattern I started one and never finished it now I cannot find the pattern. Can anyone help please!

Roxanne from Oelwein, IA

Answers

http://www.croc  read.php?t=16254

like this one? says it's from a Leisure Arts booklet on Mile-a -minute afghans

By Linda (Guest Post)

I just saw that on the Herrschners website. I have attempted to attach the pic. If you send them an email, maybe they will respond? I love that afghan. But now, I am trying to find beginner fast knit afghans as I am trying to teach myself to knit and tend not to be that patient. Thank you.

Just a few minutes ago I was admiring one call Arrowhead. I am attaching a pic. Maybe you can go to their (Herrschners) website and ask for a copy. All I see is the kit. I am looking for a beginner fast knit afghan pattern. I am attempting to teach myself to knit but I am not very patient. I need real easy with larger needles. Thanks

Several years ago I crochet an afghan, unfortunately I can't find a pattern for it now. It was made of individual strips, joined with a single crochet but each strip had a ruffle on it. Would anyone who does crocheting have this pattern or know where I can get it.

Thanks!
Wendy from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Answers

Plenty of free crochet afghan patters on line. I have used a couple of the patterns here: http://www.knit  chet/afghan.html
Best of luck!! JCP

oOOPS! FORGOT TO ADVISE: GO TO GOOGLE AND SEARCH FOR "FREE ONLINE CROCHET AFGHAN PATTERNS" YOU WILL GET MORE THAN YOU NEED.

LOL....

JCP

Try Lionbrand.com for patterns and links.

I am looking for a crocheted birdhouse afghan pattern. I don't want to order the kit because it doesn't give you a choice on colors of yarn to use. I really need the pattern if anyone can help me.

Thank you

Answers

MarySue, I am not sure what your specific birdhouse afghan looks like, but here's an idea. Crochet some plain blocks, then with a lighter weight yarn crochet squares or rectangles, decreasing to a point for the roof. Crochet little circles out of black thread or yarn. Sew these together, applique-style the birdhouses onto your squares. You can get creative & make several varieties of birdhouses this way. Also you could make the birdhouses out of fabric and sew them on, making your afghan look somewhat like a quilt. What a great afghan you're going to have, no matter what way you make it. Birdhouses are so homey & beautiful. Jayne.

By Lita (Guest Post)

You may already have the pattern, but if not you can find it under Annie's Attic (A year of afghans, book 13). The cost is $11.34 with shipping and handling.

I'm looking for an crochet afghan pattern for my son who is an avid hunter. I've checked some of the free patterns sites, and I may just use a pattern with camo yarn. But I would love to have something with deer or other hunting related design. Thanks!

CarolinaGirl

Answers

Here's a google search for camo yarn:
http://www.goog  n%22&spell=1
Here's a google search for hunting afghans:
http://www.goog  hin%C2%A0results

I hope you can find something here. there are a lot of links to look through.
Good luck,
Tina

I made my younger adult son a pull-over hat out of camy yarn for Christmas & he just loved it!.... If I were you, I'd use "camo" yarn!... As for a deer blanket: You can buy a "panel" with a deer in the woods of fleece fabric & give that to him too! The camouflage pattern looks great bordered in black!

---> Another idea: You might want to make a "Navaho" type of crochet design. (There are many free paterns for these!) I know my adult sons love Native American blankets & many things native American.

* BTW: I bought my camouflage yarn at Walmart.

I have two patterns for afghans that you crochet one row at a time and cut your yarn and start another row to form a design. I would like to know if anyone has this type of crochet pattern or an old Annie's design.

I have a few afghans that are very plain and they need some fancying up. I have the idea to weave in yarn into the afghan. I have no desire to unravel the yarn and make a new one. Any suggestions on how to do this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

By mindy from Terrebonne, OR

I am looking for the directions to a crocheted afghan pattern from the early 80s. It is titled Aran Isle and is made in blocks. The magazine page I have says Institute Needlework and Sewing Center. It was probably published in McCalls magazine. The picture is on page 154. The directions started on page 288 and continued on page 290 which I don't have.

By Carole from Ferndale, CA

I am trying to locate a pattern for a domino afghan that appeared in 1969 in the Pittsburg Post. I have included the link for the photograph of the afghan. (View Photo Here)

By Miss Missi from Gillette, WY

I am looking for a pattern for a crochet birdhouse afghan and would like to know what site I can find this on?

By Marilyn

Has anyone ever made a crocheted afghan with bulky yarn? I am presently making one for my twin bed. As it gets larger it is heavy to work with, but I bet it will keep you very warm. I'm using many different stitches on it too. I am wondering if anyone else used different stitches on one.

By silentwriter from Central, PA

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I made this afghan for my daughter for Christmas. It took about 3 weeks (all with love, of course). We live in Mattawa, WA and the winters are long. It's a great time to crochet.

By Sandra M.

Tulip Afghan

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

I just finished this crocheted afghan, my first, and was taking some pictures to share with friends and family. My two little ones decided that a picture without them wasn't worth taking. They've been so good about not sitting on the project while it was in the works, that they wanted to be a part of the celebration. What did Linus used to say about a warm puppy with a 'blankie'? Makes for great cuddle time on the couch!

Source: Crochet pattern from Bernat yarns

By Maile

Dogs standing on afghan blanket

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6