Which Wine to Use for a Recipe Calling for Red Wine?

If you have a recipe calling for red wine will any red wine do or are they different? I have never cooked using wine before.

By Patricia

Any kind but don't use "cooking wine". All chefs say not to.

I use L'Epayrie. Reasonably priced, comes in red or white, and has certainly improved the flavor of my cooking!

Known as 'French Table Wine," it can also be drunk as is. Not made specifically for cooking, so does not have the high sodium problem. Frankly, I don't like the taste of most wines straight out of the bottle, but when I cook with this one, something magical happens. I started using it when a friend recommended it, and she's been using it for years.

A couple of weeks ago, the newspaper featured it as a "Best Bet". "

This information if from www.dallasnews.com:

L'Epayrie Red Table Wine, NV, France (Panel pick)

"1.5 liter bottle is equivalent to two bottles. $9.99; widely available.

This easy-drinking wine was the clear favorite of the tasting, offering good quality for the price. It's neither too subtle nor too bold. It's a reliable, good value red that many guests will enjoy, with or without food."

If it's something drinkable, any red will do. Even a cheaper sangria is fine ( on chicken and fish, I even prefer that because as it reduces and carmelizes, there's a fruity kick).

Heartily agree with Lilac, stay away from the "cooking" wines. They're loaded with salt and taste that way right out of the bottle; when they're cooked that saltiness is even more intensified and can overpower whatever seasonings your dish has, not to mention blowing your daily sodium requirements (maybe even a couple of days' worth!) all to Hades.

Any full bodied red wine will do. And, in a pinch, even fine chefs will use cooking wine and simply not add the salt the recipe calls for to compensate for the cooking wine saltiness. ;-)

pouring white wine over simmering clams
Using Wine in Cooking
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 10, 2011
Pastel swirled marshmallows in various shapes.
Making Homemade Marshmallows
Red Wine
Removing Red Wine Stains from Microfiber
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄