Removing Hair Dye Stains from Fabric

How do I remove Garnier dye stains from a green towel?

By Arv from India

If you have access to the same hair dye just dab it over the stain to soak it for a few minutes and then wash it out, it should remove the original stain. This method is used by professional hairdressers.

Beadiebug, I am sure you mean well but using the same hair dye "will not remove that stain and it will only reinforce it" and I know that because I was a professional hairstylist for 35 years before retiring as were both of my parents before me!

Arv, you can try a couple of things but try it on just one small part of the color stained spots first, allow the fluid to soak for a couple of minutes, rub gently, rinse and see what happens. First, I would recommend trying drug store strength (3%) hydrogen peroxide you can buy at drug stores. If that doesn't work then try 10 volume haircolor peroxide/developer that you can get at a beauty supply. Since it's a fabric you're trying to remove the color from, and a colored fabric at that, it might be that neither of these will work but if the towel is really important to you then it's at least worth a try. :-)

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricJanuary 7, 2011
A woman dyeing her hair at home.
Removing Hair Dye from a Linoleum or Vinyl Floor
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub