Training a Dog to be Friendly

I have a mini pincher/chihuahua mix who is just 8 weeks old, my question is how to we teach him to be friendly and not atack everyone in sight, people, ect. He isn't doing any of this YET, but his daddy does.

Beth from Florida

If you get the National Geographic Channel from your cable company, tune in to a show called "The Dog Whisperer". A man by the name of Ceasar Millan is the "Dog Whisperer" and on the show he shows dog owners how to discipline, and train your dog. I highly recommend it!

One thing I would recommend is socialize, socialize, socialize. Put him in all kinds of situations. Around kids, other pets, etc. I've been told this helps them deal with situations better.

Your "dog" is only a puppy. Treat him like a child. "Children learn what they live" and animals learn what they live with as well. Treat your animal with love and respect. For my cat, I only need to use a stern voice, and she knows when she's in trouble.. (smile) I try to listen to what shes saying to me! Watch your pet's ears and tail. They are good indicators of his/her thoughts... Your dog will bark loudly when he/she thinks there is something to fear. This is a defense mechanism. Best of luck from one animal whisperer to another.. (grin)

I would bring the pup to places where there are people around. My daughter brings my puppy for a walk around the school when the kids are getting out for the day. She gets to see alot of kids and they love to pet her. Let her meet people when you walk her also. If she shows interest in cars as they pass tell her no, make her sit and stay. And don't let her jump on anyone. It's hard when they are tiny dogs, like mine too. Since they only get knee high when jumping we tend not to correct them. But if someone bends down to pet the dog you don't want her to jump at someone's face.

the puppy stage is the most important time to socialize your puppy. the more socializing and getting him used to different situations, the less likely he is to inherit his dads trait.unsocialized dogs are more likely to attack and develop people phobias. so my suggestion is to take him to as many places as you can. Take him to the park, if you have kids take him to their school as you drop them off,take him on daily walks around the neighborhood and any other place you can think of.