Spreadable Cheese Recipe (Like Kaukauna)

I love to eat spreadable cheddar on crackers, like Kaukauna, but it is so expensive. Does anyone know a way to make this stuff from hard cheddar cheese?

Nicole from Chicago

I've never had that brand of spreadable cheese, but here is a recipe for one that my mom gave me...

2 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened

2 cups sharp or extra sharp cheddar, shredded

1 T each pimento, chopped green pepper and diced green onion

2 T worcestershire sauce

2 T lemon juice

dried parsley flakes, chopped nuts or paprika to garnish

Mix all ingredients, except garnish. Place in a pretty bowl or a bread bowl to serve. Sprinkle with desired garnish.

Note: I omitted the pimento from my version. Also I use yellow bell pepper instead of green.

Do you have a membership to Sam's Club? They sell spreadable cheese, 3 fairly lg containers in a pkg and it's pretty reasonable. I really like that kind of cheese too but I don't eat often enough that I'd want to make it myself. I just get it from time to time, enjoy it and not worry about how much it costs which I never noticed was too much. Also, Kraft makes spreadable cheese in little glass containers that you can re-use as a juice glass. The piemento cheese is quite good and there is one with olives too we like. I think they make one that is a cheddar one....there are quite a few varieties.

Cheddar Cheese Spread

CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

5 tablespoons butter

1 pound Cheddar cheese -- sharp type, finely shredded

2 tablespoons milk, PLUS 2 teaspoons milk

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

2 dashes red pepper

1 dash salt -- to taste

Directions:

Warm a mixing bowl by running very hot tap water into it; dry it. Cut butter into thin slices place them in bowl to soften. Use the coarse side of a cheese grater to finely shred cheese --- you should get about 4 cups lightly packed cheese. Place the grated cheese, milk, mustard, and red pepper in the warm bowl with the butter. Use either a manual or electric beater to blend the ingredients into a thick, smooth, spreadable paste.

Depending on the texture of your Cheddar cheese, you may want to add another teaspoon milk; adjust salt to taste. Pack the spread in an attractive crock or jar and chill for 2 days. Let the spread stand at room temperature for an hour before using.

Food Processor Method: Double the ingredients so the blades will work. Have all the ingredients at room temperature; cut butter and cheese into pieces. Whirl all ingredients together until creamed and well mixed; stop the machine several times to scrape down the container sides. Season to taste with salt.

Wine and Cheese Spread: Omit mustard and red pepper. Replace milk with dry sherry, port wine or Burgundy wine.

Smoked Cheese Spread: Add drops of Liquid Smoke, to taste, to the blended paste; mix well.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdki  pread78860.shtml

Recipe ID: 49644

This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

© 1995-2006 CDKitchen, Inc.