Spreadable Cheese Recipe (Like Kaukauna)

I love to eat spreadable cheddar on crackers, like Kaukauna, but it is so expensive. Does anyone know a way to make this stuff from hard cheddar cheese?

Nicole from Chicago

I've never had that brand of spreadable cheese, but here is a recipe for one that my mom gave me...

2 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened

2 cups sharp or extra sharp cheddar, shredded

1 T each pimento, chopped green pepper and diced green onion

2 T worcestershire sauce

2 T lemon juice

dried parsley flakes, chopped nuts or paprika to garnish

Mix all ingredients, except garnish. Place in a pretty bowl or a bread bowl to serve. Sprinkle with desired garnish.

Note: I omitted the pimento from my version. Also I use yellow bell pepper instead of green.

Do you have a membership to Sam's Club? They sell spreadable cheese, 3 fairly lg containers in a pkg and it's pretty reasonable. I really like that kind of cheese too but I don't eat often enough that I'd want to make it myself. I just get it from time to time, enjoy it and not worry about how much it costs which I never noticed was too much. Also, Kraft makes spreadable cheese in little glass containers that you can re-use as a juice glass. The piemento cheese is quite good and there is one with olives too we like. I think they make one that is a cheddar one....there are quite a few varieties.

Cheddar Cheese Spread

CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

5 tablespoons butter

1 pound Cheddar cheese -- sharp type, finely shredded

2 tablespoons milk, PLUS 2 teaspoons milk

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

2 dashes red pepper

1 dash salt -- to taste

Warm a mixing bowl by running very hot tap water into it; dry it. Cut butter into thin slices place them in bowl to soften. Use the coarse side of a cheese grater to finely shred cheese --- you should get about 4 cups lightly packed cheese. Place the grated cheese, milk, mustard, and red pepper in the warm bowl with the butter. Use either a manual or electric beater to blend the ingredients into a thick, smooth, spreadable paste.

Depending on the texture of your Cheddar cheese, you may want to add another teaspoon milk; adjust salt to taste. Pack the spread in an attractive crock or jar and chill for 2 days. Let the spread stand at room temperature for an hour before using.

Food Processor Method: Double the ingredients so the blades will work. Have all the ingredients at room temperature; cut butter and cheese into pieces. Whirl all ingredients together until creamed and well mixed; stop the machine several times to scrape down the container sides. Season to taste with salt.

Wine and Cheese Spread: Omit mustard and red pepper. Replace milk with dry sherry, port wine or Burgundy wine.

Smoked Cheese Spread: Add drops of Liquid Smoke, to taste, to the blended paste; mix well.

Recipe Location: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/615/Cheddar-Cheese-Spread78860.shtml

Recipe ID: 49644

This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

© 1995-2006 CDKitchen, Inc.

Cheese Spread on Crackers
Cheese Spread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes DairyJuly 17, 2006
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Spreadable Cream Cheese in a Wooden Bowl
Making Spreadable Cream Cheese
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 18, 2016 at 3:07:29 PM on in 987 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.